LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"TDMS Open.vi" won't open file if not administrator

I have an app that I install and run from a subFolder of the program files folder, and there's a TDMS file that installs alongside it (it's a set of pattern match data that the app needs).  When the app calls "TDMS Open.vi" everything works fine if I'm logged on as an administrator, but I get an error 8 (file permission error).if I'm not.

When I'm not an admin, I can run the exe that's in the same folder - why can't that exe then load the TDMS file?  What am I missing here?

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,173 Views)

I wonder if it's because opening the TDMS file results in an index file being created, and the user doesn't have permission to write to that folder?

The file just has some pattern match data in it that only my software will access - is it possible to turn off the creation of index files in this case?

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,168 Views)

I suppose I could switch from TDMS to TDM - those files don't have index children, right?  That'd be a lot of work though...

Why do I feel like I'm having an ACME Do-It-Yourself conversation? 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,164 Views)

crelf wrote:

That's because you are used to LAVA.

We have trouble spelling TDMS or LVOOP on this forum. Smiley Sad

Just granting write access is not acceptable I suppose. 

Herbert would know.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 7
(3,158 Views)
Meh.  My workaround is to copy the TDMS file to a location that the user can write to (a defined location within their My Documents), read the file, then delete it.  It's dirty, but it works.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,146 Views)

Ben wrote:

crelf wrote:

That's because you are used to LAVA.  We have trouble spelling TDMS or LVOOP on this forum. Smiley Sad

At least someone's watching 😄  Thanks Ben!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,143 Views)

I just digged up a longer discussion from my bookmarks on that issue. I hope it helps

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&thread.id=293241&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,131 Views)