LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Open With"

Solved!
Go to solution

I wrote a VI that looks at MSI files, and examines all the data in the data base. It's a neat program, and my favorite part was that I could right click on an MSI, and say "Open With" and choose my program, and it would Open my exe, and know to look at the path of the MSI.

Now the problem that has risen, is that I rebuild the EXE with a newer version of labVIEW, and my nearly created EXE. When I right click on it, and say. "Open With" -> My labVIEW EXE. It now opens the MSI with the default MSI engine, and also my program. (I have a feeling that it opens my program first, and then the MSI engine).

I'm curious... is there any settings in the app builder, or the VI to try and not execute whatever program I'm opening up?

I believe it's something on the side of LabVIEW, because I even tested it with a EXE created from a blank VI. And it still opens the MSI installer. I'm curious why if I right click on the MSI, and say "Open With" -> Orca (a database editing tool) it opens Orca, but not the MSI, but if I right click and open with a labVIEW EXE file. it opens both the EXE, and the MSI Installer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,355 Views)
I would suspect the issue is with Windows rather than LabVIEW.  The Open With is a function of the operating system.  However, if you did an Open with and your .exe, then somehow you setup in your LabVIEW program a means of dealing with any parameters or filenames passed to it (%1 %2, ... in the days of DOS).  Perhaps you somehow changed in your VI the way those command line parameters are handled.
Message 2 of 4
(2,345 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nyne

Hey Ravenous..

Thanks a bunch for looking into this. It did have to do with the arguments... Unfortunately. When I upgrade my labVIEW... it changed one setting on me. In my App Builder. "There's Advanced->Pass all command line arguments to application" I checked it off, and the MSI no longer runs when I use my exe.

Thanks again for looking into this.

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,338 Views)

I'm glad I was able to help you figure it out.

Could you do me a favor and please mark my message #2 as the solution?

Message 4 of 4
(2,326 Views)