LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"LabVIEW load error code 3" USB drive

Hi Folks,
      I'm not expecting any solution here, though it would be nice...

Twice, recently, I've lost a top-leve VI due to the error below.  I suspect the problem is related to working off a new USB drive - a 2G Lexar Firefly.  For two or three years a Lexar Jumpdrive Elite (256M) served me flawlessly, after moving to the Firefly ~2 weeks ago, this error has happened twice.  BTW, the Firefly is also extremely slow - amazingly slow, considering how much newer it is.

If any wiz-kids have dissected the VI binary well enough to, possibly, identify/repair problems, it would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Message Edited by tbd on 12-19-2007 09:45 PM
"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,493 Views)
I've only used Sony and Sandisk USB drives, but I noticed a performance difference on both after removing the 'cr@pw@re' that came on them. The Sandisk device had a utility called S3 that served no purpose for me, and the Sony had some sort of compression program that slowed down the writes substantially.

If the drive has any of these types of apps and you don't need them, try to remove them. Note that removing the Sandisk utilities erased the entire USB drive! Back up your data before trying anything.

I also just read that the Firefly had a recall last year due to overheating. I wonder if the solution was to just slow down the internal clock...

I'm hoping to get an 8GB Sandisk for Xmas Smiley Happy

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,473 Views)

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the heads-up re: background-apps slowing-down drive.To be honest, I don't know how to find/disable such apps. but now know to look.

Re: Lexar Firefly - it's slow by design, though there's no warning on the package when you buy it.  Here's the response from their Customer Support:

"Jumpdrive Firefly is a non-speed rated Jumpdrive and is made of MLC technology.

MLC stands for Multiple Level Cell technology. It is a technology that allows each memory cell in flash media to store two bits instead of one in each memory cell. In SLC (Single Level Cell) technology, a 0 is assigned to one voltage level, and a 1 is assigned a different voltage level. But in MLC, the binary numbers 00, 01, 10, and 11 are all assigned progressively higher voltage levels. The MLC technology is lower in cost because it can store twice as much in each cell. It is also significantly slower than SLC technology, because it takes more processing to decode the information in each cell.

"

Hmm, I thought "MLC" stood for Mutton, Lettuce and Cheese! ;^)

Anyway... because the VI corruption has bitten me twice in the relatively short time since switching to the Firefly, it or Firefly-specific SW seems responsible.  Experimenting now with a 2G replacement (not a Lexar.)

The size of the corrupted VI, on disk, looks normal as if it's largely intact - too bad it's inaccessible!

Thanks again,

Cheers!

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
Message 3 of 4
(2,454 Views)

tbd wrote:

Hmm, I thought "MLC" stood for Mutton, Lettuce and Cheese! ;^)

That makes me think of Wallace and Grommit (and their friend Shaun). Did I put on the right trousers today?! Smiley Very Happy

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

Message 4 of 4
(2,417 Views)