LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"LabVIEW code generation failed to execute" while using the DAQmx assistant

Hello, i installed the LabVIEW 2023 Q1 to measure data from an accelerometer. When i try to create a signal using the DAQmx assistant the error "LabVIEW code generation failed to execute" pops up. I tried to unistall LabVIEW an DAQmx and reinstall the programs in the following order: 1. LabVIEW 2. DAQmx

The DAQmx assistant ist still not working.

Does anyone got a suggestion for bringing the assistant to work?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,103 Views)

DAQ Assistant With DAQmx 2022 Q3 on LabVIEW 2022 Q3 Fails To Generate Code

This is a known bug when using the DAQ Assistant with NI-DAQmx and LabVIEW 2022 Q3. The workaround is to install LabVIEW 2021 SP1.

Or even better, don't use DAQ Assistant!

Go to Help >> Find Examples... >> Hardware Input and Output >> NI-DAQmx for shipping examples.

Learn 10 Functions in NI-DAQmx and Handle 80 Percent of Your Data Acquisition 

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
Message 2 of 8
(3,065 Views)

Agree with ZYOng.  Even for the simplest tasks you are likely to go beyond the abilities of the ASSistant and need to convert it to real code.  To get started with an accelerometer start with:

Help > Find Examples.  Then go to the search tab and search for 'IEPE".  You will find the VI called IEPE - Continuous Input.vi.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,051 Views)

Suggesting Not to use DAQ Assistant is an idiotic suggestion. No offense. It is part of the Labview package and should work. I've had the same issue and I have reinstalled NIDAQ several times (a time consuming effort BTW).  I also do not get any devices when trying to use DAQExpress. Even though using test panels in NIDAQ the device shows up and I can test all channels.   I am also using Labview 2023 Q1 and just installed everything fresh last week. I did have to go and make my own labview code to record 2 signals. For someone that does this once every 2-3 years it was a hell of a learning curve everytime to take and log a few measurements. I long for the days of Signal Express that could do it all when all you cared about were taking a handful of measurements and doing some basic real time processing, averaging, FFTs, etc.

Perhaps NI's (more) idiotic business model of charging annually for Labview is to blame. Not enough cash to fix basic problems? It was nice in the old days to get a license and have a working copy for a handful of years. As a school teacher I don't have access to unlimited company funds to pay annually. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,640 Views)

The reason we all recommend avoiding the Assistants and Wizards in LabVIEW isn't idiotic.  We do it mainly because none of us ever use them, so we can't help those who do.  Plus, you are right if you assume we would rather NI focus on LabVIEW instead.  No offense! 😋

Good news for you though.  I also used to use Signal Express.  It was great to give my co-workers the ability to do their own basic data-logging with a tool that they could use without bothering me.  If the code needed to be expanded, I would take their SE project and open it in LabVIEW to jump start my code.  

I checked and it's still available:  SignalExpress Download - NI

I'm using LV 2019 and I was able to activate it automatically with my standard LabVIEW license, and there is an evaluation option too.  Hopefully you can activate it as well.  If not, maybe you can get a break as a teacher.  Good Luck and post back if you need any more help...

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,597 Views)

Thanks for the levelheaded reply. 

Seems like you are a pretty experienced Labview programmer. As I said in my original post I only once every 2-3 years have to jump back into it. It is not intuitive in the slightest. There are about 100 ways to do effectively the same thing. Exaggeration but still. While loops vs for loops, create channel, start daq task, 1D double single point vs multipoint versus waveform and then there is actually logging the data to a txt or TDMS file.  All of those things are not straightforward and while NI provides a ton of examples sometimes a ton is not helpful. To go with the 100 tons of user content. When all I want is myself or my students to grab 4 AI signals using my USB-6212 let alone my ancient 6008 to easily get some voltage measurements from a POT or Tach and record them at a set sample rate for later analysis. I would think I'm not alone in this desire. The DAQ Assistant worked very nicely for a simple VI to do this.

I know DAQExpress is their answer to this but it is really limited compared to Signal Express. While I'm still trying to get it running I think I will eventually figure it out (firewall issues I think) That said if I understand it right DAQExpress is free with the hardware. This is what NI will be forcing me to use as I cannot afford Labview with an annual license of $1600 for the Full license. (I could probably get away with the Base Liscense @ $550 but I do utilize the basic signal processing tools)

I still try to use Signal Express too. It sometimes will work. About 80% of the time but will randomly crash. Seems like an issue with when I drag a DAQ channel to a chart plot it bombs. If I take that same signal and go to a "meter" it works fine.  The record feature seems to work regardless. So as long as I don't need to see live time based trends it seems to be ok and will still record and a prescribed data rate which is what I need. 

I know the cost may seem paltry to you industry folks but every year to be hit with another $1600 bill for the same software that was working just fine the month before gets pricey when I don't need any of the new features. I would be fine with 2010 features as all of my DAQ hardware is pretty basic stuff and all of my PID feedback control can be done "on-demand" sampling easily.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,581 Views)

I have been using LabVIEW since version 5 and as a new electro-optic technician I thought it was the best thing going.  I could control all my bench instruments, automate tasks and code data analysis applications that made me look MUCH smarter than I really was.  FFT???  What's that?  Then I just connected my data arrays and poof, I could see in the frequency domain.  It opened my eyes to many new abilities.  But, it certainly wasn't all smooth sailing.  I was fortunate enough to work with a couple LabVIEW gurus who taught me the basics and gave me a solid footing in LabVIEW even though I had no programming experience.  Then I found this forum and learned a lot more.  However, to this day I still struggle when I need to go outside my experience, and just like you, I have to re-learn things I thought I knew if I don't use them continually.

My humble advice to you would be to contact NI directly and ask about educational discount licensing or whether it's OK for you to use Community or Home Editions.  

Also don't forget that many of us are more than happy to help out and will code entire applications for people who are teaching or doing non-profit work that benefits others.  Years back, I coded a little security program that monitored the gates of a dog rescue facility for a really nice lady that sent a bunch of happy dog pics back to say thanks.  Made my month! 😊  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,557 Views)

As an academic I wish we taught more Labview type work in undergraduate engineering. We just don't. I think the thought is we are not teaching software packages we are teaching measurement. However when students get to the job having some software experience could get them started quickly. All of our grads get hired so that isn't an issue. Engineering colleges take the theoretical approach over the applied. Primarily if you know the concept you can teach yourself the tools. Makes some sense, but then sometimes you are like me having to teach myself a whole software suite in my spare time. 

Technically I do have the NI Academic Site license which has everything. However their EULA requires that to only before classroom graded assignments. Things like side or research type projects requires a separate license. I bought one of those a number of years ago (2016?) and I'm still limping it along with no updates (fine by me) but I might be still running Windows 10 or even XP.  Think I paid like $700 for a 3-year term of updates.  I was hoping to do the same now and limp it along for another 6 years but NI has changed their business model to an annual subscription (just like the rest of the world I guess)  I will reach out to a NI direct person to see if there is something that could be done as I'm not running Toyota here I have 1-2 engineering students working on some capstone projects.

One thing I can say is the NI community is excellent with the amount of content and the timely feedback. Which I use frequently. Especially when I was trying to sync my 4431 measurement with my 9201 in my cDAQ module.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,549 Views)