From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"General polynomial fit" VI algorithm documentation

@ssegal wrote:

I'm specifically comparing to Origin and MATLAB, where I do most of my data analysis.

<sarcasm>Apples and oranges.</sarcasm>

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(608 Views)

@ssegal wrote:

I'm specifically comparing to Origin and MATLAB, where I do most of my data analysis.

@ssegal wrote:

In my experience, it is dangerous to use a canned routine without understanding what it's doing. Your mileage may vary.

Matlab polyfit help doesn't even mention the algorithm and does not seem to give you a choice.

Origin help is also not very specific, but I haven't looked everywhere.

Talk about "canned routines"! 😮

While LabVIEW does give you a choice for the algorithm, you can just leave it unwired and use the default. If the data is somehow pathological and the fit fails, you can always try a different one. For reasonable data, it typically does not matter. 😄

@ssegal wrote:

Came in to ask a question of the community, got a raft of sarcasm.

My guess is that most of the volunteers here would not know the answer, so instead of us googling we recommended that you do it. Eliminate the middleman! :D. It is not really a LabVIEW question.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(602 Views)

hi ssegal

I found this thread looking for the same as you. Wondering if you found any answers? 

As for the reply from the community I can only  say that I am disappointed.

Yes, IT IS A LABVIEW QUESTION. And I too think that the documentation should have given a proper description, even if in a table of comparison (for us engineers), not a 400 page textbook. 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(488 Views)

If you think that the documentation should have a description, take it up with NI.  This is a community of engineers and programmers (not mathematicians, most likely) that volunteer their time to help answer questions to the best of their ability.  If you don't like the responses given on this 2 1/2 year old thread, feel free to look elsewhere for answers.  You will likely get better responses on a forum like Matlab's that are geared more specifically towards mathematics.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(478 Views)