LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

queue

Hi tbob,

Would a buffered network-published shared variable also be an option for transferring data to/from PXI to laptop for data storage?

-Somit

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(556 Views)

@somit wrote:

Hi tbob,

Would a buffered network-published shared variable also be an option for transferring data to/from PXI to laptop for data storage?

-Somit

Yes it would if you are using LV8x.  Then you would not have to worry about TCP/IP.  I mainly develop with LV7.1.1, so I didn't even think of shared vars.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(543 Views)
A notifier is not really a single element queue, but a one-to-many broadcast mechanism.  It does have one element, the last one that was posted to it.  However, there is no real limitation on posting to a notifier.  Post a new item and the old one is overwritten, whether it was read or not.  Notifiers are typically used when you have a single source of data and multiple listeners.  They have a subtle race condition in that you can miss items while you are processing them, even in a dedicated loop.  Queues are usually point-to-point communication and can be single, fixed multiple, or variable length.  While you can read a queue from multiple listeners, the act of reading it will usually pop the element from the queue, although there is a mechanism to read without popping.  For one-to-one communications, queues are usually a better choice.  I have run into race conditions almost every time I have tried to use notifiers.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(521 Views)