LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pulse oximeter

Hi can anyone pls guide me or help me.

I'm trying to build a simple pulse oximeter to detect human pulse. Can anyone tell me how to go about building it in labview or anyone has a simple labview program to share with me? Pls advise
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(17,884 Views)

First we need a little information:

1. What kind of sensor are you using?
  2. How is LV reading it?
  3. What exactly do you want the program to do?
  4. What kind of output do you want?
  5. What version of LV do you have?
  6. How long have you been using LV?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(17,878 Views)

First we need a little information:

1. What kind of sensor are you using? Hmm...diposal reflective pulse oximter by nellcor
  2. How is LV reading it? 
  3. What exactly do you want the program to do?  Detect the pulse of a human, which like oxygen level etc
  4. What kind of output do you want?  hmm.. for the time mean just able to read the pulse
  5. What version of LV do you have?  I'm having ver 6 labview, DAQCard-AL-16XE-50
  6. How long have you been using LV? I am new to labview
Sorry for the time being, I can't really ans ur question directly. Cause all i need at the moment is a simple lv program to detect a human pulse signal. Pls advise
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(17,876 Views)
It really depends on exactly how you can interface the oximeter to the PC..

Does the sensor have a voltage output, a current output or something else.....

Despite the fact that it might be a pulse oximeter, LV only cares if it's a voltage, current or whatever.  I assume you simply want to get these values into your program in a first step, right? Have a look at the sensor to find out how exactly it sends its data (if at all).

Hope this helps

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(17,870 Views)

Take a look at this website and tell us which model number you are using.

http://www.mallinckrodt.com/respiratory/resp/Serv_Supp/ProductManuals.html#N-3000

Are you using the serial port??

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(17,868 Views)

You left the most important question (#2) blank... Until that is answered, there's no advice I can give.

Mike...

Message Edited by mikeporter on 09-09-2005 12:20 AM

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(17,851 Views)

Thks all for your promptly reply. Ok the model of my sensor is RS-10 reflectance O2 transducer.

I'm buidling my own simple circuit of pulse oximeter. I want to have a labview program that able to detect a human pulse. Which is a voltage output  from my circuit. I hope labview able to detect this signal of the pulse. I have photodiode n LED in my circuit,so when finger is put on the sensor and LED, labview must be able to read the signal.Like red LED give me what kind of signal, and infrared LED will give me what kind of signal. I hope I don't confuse all the helpful souls.In fact I'm new to everything like build a pulse oximeter circuit and build a labview programs. Is there anyone can help me with both the circuit n program?? Or guide me along? I'll be very grateful to all of you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(17,842 Views)
Hi Doraemon,

I don't know if you've ever had a chance to make a pulse oximeter before, but they are actually pretty fun to do (although it can be frustrating at times).  Essentially the first thing that you need to know is if you are going to simply use a premade oximeter and just read the voltages coming out of it, or are you going to try to get your very own LEDs and photodiodes and try to make your own.

The main things to remember is that you are looking at two different output voltages.  One from a red LED, and another from an infrared LED.  The basic principle of the whole thing is sort of like what you probably did as a kid, taking a flashlight, holding it to your hand at night and and seeing your bones.  As seen in the picture below, the two different LEDs will have different voltage levels depending upon the saturation of the hemoglobin with 02. 

If you want more detailed information, then check out this site, as they seem to have some good basic info.  Be careful just doing a Google search for more information on pulse oximetry, as you tend to find some very boring results.  Somehow us scientists and engineers have a knack for making cool subjects boring when we write about them.

Now getting to the LabVIEW portion of everything
As you can see in the above figure all you are really looking at is two voltages.  That means you will simply need to have two separate analog input channels measuring the voltages coming from the different LEDs. 
  1. The Pulse will be really easy to see because the voltages will be going up and down easily showing the systole and diastole of the heart.  You should be able to simply plot one of the two lines on a waveform graph and see the heartbeat (keep in mind that pulse oximetry is VERY sensitive to noise artifact).
  2. The Oxygen Saturation is a little more difficult to measure and may require some custom scaling.  However, even this should not be too difficult as it is just a matter of comparing the two different voltages and figuring out what the difference is and how exactly that relates to a percentage.  If you get a percentage of less than about 90%, then you may want to head straight to the nearest hospital or stop smoking.
That is the basics of how everything works.  And from the LabVIEW end of things all you need is a Data Acquisition device and a simple program to continuously read the voltages from your sensors.  If you have LabVIEW 7.0 or higher, then open LabVIEW and go to Help > Find Examples > Browse > Hardware Input and Output > DAQmx > Analog Measurements > Cont Acq&Graph Voltage-Int Clk.vi.  That example should allow you to easily read some voltages.  You can then modify the example in whatever way you deem necessary to compare the two measurements and extract the pulse oximetry information that you need.

Honestly, the LabVIEW part should be the easy part of everything.  When I've done these in the past the biggest pain was making sure that all of my transducers were working properly.  Once that is set, then you can easily pull things in thru the DAQ board and begin taking measurements.

Best of luck!
Message 8 of 22
(17,833 Views)

Hi Otis,

Thks so much for your information.It's really useful. I never had a chance to build a simple pulse oximeter before. And that's what I'm going to do. Since you have experience in building one before, mind sharing with me where you gather the information to build one beside google search? I already search all the google but not much help given. And I'm also looking for circuit to build the pulse oximeter together with the LED and photodiodes. Do you know anywhere has useful information?Pls advise me.Thanks so much

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(17,809 Views)
Hi Doraemon,

I did these quite a few years ago back in college, but I'll tell you what I can remember.  Basically you are going to have to source an LED with a wavelength of 660 and 910 nm.  Once you find those it's actually a really simple circuit.  You might need some filters and such on it, but the basics look a lot like this:

You'll have to forgive my artistic (non)-abilities.  There are probably some other details that I'm forgetting, but hopefully this will at least give you an idea.  I remember it was pretty simplistic.  However, keep in mind that you're dealing with non-visible light, so it may be difficult to confirm that the LED works.

If you are building something like this from scratch it's probably a lab of some sort, if that's the case, then try asking around for a professor as they have likely done something like that before.  Somebody around a university should have a schematic of this type of circuit.

If this is for a commercial application, then I highly recommend getting a pulse oximeter that is already made as it will be MUCH easier to deal with and will save you days of work (and time = money).  To find that, just do a Google Search.

Have fun with this,

Message Edited by Otis on 09-12-2005 04:30 PM

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(17,790 Views)