LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pulse count fieldpoint

Hi! I need to write a VI with a pulse counter employing fieldpoint. Here's my problem: I have an energy meter with pulse output. I can set pulse frequency, pulse lenght and number of pulses for kWh. I have to read the signal from that instrument but I don't really understand how. I mean, I do not have to measure the frequency of the pulses 'cos I already set it, I'd rather read the signal from the meter in a specified period of time and count the number of pulses in that time. How can I do that?

I can both connect the meter to a cFP AI-110 or cFP CTR500. There are mainly two things I don't understand:

-how can I count the pulses in, let's say, 30 s?

-how can I define the reset condition?

Thanks!

Valeria

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,009 Views)

Valeria,

CTR500 is the best solution.  Have you verified that the pulses from the energy meter are compatible with CTR500 inputs?  If so, the two counter method will give you the best results.  The first counter creates a window of known width which is then used to enable another counter that counts the pulses.  There is an example .vi that ships with LV called "Frequency Measurement.vi" that demonstrates the 2 counter method.  Instead of calculating frequency you will need to calculate energy.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,990 Views)