From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

profile timing - wait (ms)

In my main VI, I call a sub-VI that will flush the receive buffer of serial port, write a command to the serial port, and wait for 120 ms. The main vi will then begin the reading process of the serial port.

I ran the profile performance and memory tool on it to see if the sub-VI will really run for at least 120 ms. What I got back was that it only took 0.0 ms to run the vi.

I have attached an image on what the sub-vi looks like.

Message Edited by elliot.ee on 06-05-2007 08:16 AM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,189 Views)
Hi elliot,

you only get back processor time. Even a vi containing only a wait function with 200ms delay gives back ~0.5ms average time. The wait function doesn't hog the processor!

One note: create constants by right-clicking the terminal -> 'create constant'. This way you avoid those coercion dots as can be seen on your wait function...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(2,160 Views)
Additional side tip: You can use the "Time Delay" function to give you a function with error in/error out that you can wire directly into your stream without using the sequence frame.
Message 3 of 3
(2,145 Views)