LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plot surface with z values

I have a polar plot. and i have some z values. I need to plot a surface which is at a distance of these Z values and from these points in polar plot.

Message Edited by Nghtcrwlr on 03-18-2009 07:11 PM
Nghtcwrlr

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,333 Views)
Have you tried the 3-D graph?  Probably a stupid question, but I wanted to check.
-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

Message 2 of 9
(3,316 Views)

I tried 3d graph. but what i wanted is suppose (r1,theta1) is a point in polar plot and there is a point at a distance (x1+iy1) from it in the z direction. Like wise for all (r,theta) values there is a corresonding z value. With all these (x+iy) i need to create a surface.. prbably a surface that fitis through all these points.

Nghtcwrlr

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,298 Views)

Try taking a look at this thread where I posted a series ilustrating a "wores case" 3d graph example.

The original poster had the intensity plot shown in this image and I added the 3d version to it (shown looking down along Z axis).

Viewed from other angles it looks like this

I included all of the source code as well as full documentaion on how it was done.

If you use that code or a variation on it, could you please post back an image of your results and a little about the physical system it is measuring?

I really love 3d plots of non-linear phenomenon.

Thank you!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 9
(3,282 Views)

Hello Ben 

Thanks for you r post. but it really seems a bit hard for me to graps evrythin.  I am having Z values. they are complex numbers. Am also having two 2D arrays of r and theta. First how can i plot the polar plot with two 2d arrays . I tried changing them to cluster and so on.. but didnt wrk.

Nghtcwrlr

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,273 Views)

Hi Night,

I like many others here only answer Q during breaks from our real jobs so I can't devote any real time to developing VI for questioners. WE can post suggestions and advise on how to proceed.

So.... 

Please post a zip of what you have tried along with some sample data. A rough image of what you expect will aslo help.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 9
(3,271 Views)

Hello ben

sorry .. i tried to connect the r and theta values to the x and y matrix in ur vi. See the attchement. I modified urs. a bit. WHen i run the VI my system hangs. COuld you chek whether its the correct way.

Nghtcwrlr

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,258 Views)

You did not include "Find Array Indes" so I could not run.

Problably would not work right since the arrays all have to be of the same dimensions. Generate a 2d array to replace that 1-d array you have wired to the invoke node.

If you need help figuring out how to generate the 2d array then you should slow down and clearly explain how your data is organized in the arrays so you can get this right.

In general...

The 3d graph expescts set of triplets or quartets of XYZ (or XYZW) values. The 3d gragh use the realtion in the 2d arrays to know which points connect to which other points.

So the data going to the invoke node has to have the same siz and dimensional arrays so it can grab an XYZW value for each point to plot.

To further offer suggestions....

I usually start with a small number of points that I key in manually so I am sure I understand how they are being ploteed. Once I have the "crayon version" working then I hit it with real data.

Have fun!

Ben

Message 8 of 9
(3,250 Views)

here the sub vi.. see atchemnet. the situation is like this. i calculate r and theta depending on some calculation and get two 2d arrays. z values are complex data.

Nghtcwrlr

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,233 Views)