LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pasting code into word

Hi, I've tried to paste my block diagram into word, but for some unknown reason parts of the diagram go missing and some parts blackout. Is there some technique to doing this where the resolution is good. My block diagram is fairly big, and asking to paste an excellent copy onto A4 may be asking too much. Is there a trick to doing this?

Please help
Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,887 Views)
Hi damsin,

I would not expect to be able to cut and paste a Labview block diagram into MS Word and get 100% correct  result, there are bound to be parts that do not copy directly as then need the Labview application to give them correct context.

I use a screen capture type of program to do that job, there is a really good Free one FastStone Capture. Does the job very nicely. I just tried with a couple of the example VI  and work fine with FastStone but simple cut & paste does not work

cheers

Dannyt
Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,874 Views)

First we would need to know how you are copying before pasting. Also, what is your OS and MS-word version?

You could also try the code capture tool: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=BreakPoint&message.id=2839#M2839

Message 3 of 14
(3,872 Views)
The easiest way if you're using Windoze, Alt+Print Screen will capture the current window to the clipboard. You then simply Ctrl+V or paste into your Word or Excel document. If you paste into the Windows Paint fUtility, you can save it as bmp, jpg or png. Ctrl+Print Screen will capture the entire display, including the taskbar.

Its the simple things that sometimes work best.

B-)

Message 4 of 14
(3,860 Views)
The problems you mention, is that apparent in the Word document, or only when you generate the print out? The reason I'm asking is that I have seen printer driver problems that only messed up the printout. The solution I came up with was to generate a PDF of the document (PDF Creator http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator is great and free) and then printing the PDF. Alternately, generating the screen capture like LabViewGuruWannabe suggested is also an excellent idea.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,852 Views)

I would also go with Altenbach's suggestion.

The CCT has various capture options and can do things that you can not do with other tools.

Depending on your needs, you might also be able to simply use the print VI documentation VIs which come with LV.

Hi damsin,

Did U follow Altenbach's or LabVIEWGuruWannbe's methods ?

Which one do U find more useful.

I think either would suffice.

Please update your results here.

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,831 Views)
Hi,

I want to put the BD into a report, preferably A4, so I need it to fit in word along with the rest of my report, page no's etc at the bottom of the BD. Alt + Print Screen is a neat trick, and I will use it for screen capture of MAX etc. It's just that my BD is too big to fit it all on a screen. I had a look at the code capture tool, and pardon my ignorance, I'm pretty new to labview, but I cant find the labview project directory. Could someone direct me and advise what to do. Do I add the Code capture tool at the top of the file dialogue window to the project directory, or have I to choose from the list?

I previously copied the BD by running the mouse over it, then I just pasted it into word. The build array icon was blacked out, and my express vi's had a clipboard and number attached, instead of the true name of the VI. When it was pasted into word it was very hard to make out, I needed to zoom in about 500% to see everything. The print out was still rubbish.

I'm using Labview 7.1, my OS is windows XP and word 2000.

Thanks Guys
D
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,810 Views)

@damsin wrote:
 I had a look at the code capture tool, and pardon my ignorance, I'm pretty new to labview, but I cant find the labview project directory. Could someone direct me and advise what to do. Do I add the Code capture tool at the top of the file dialogue window to the project directory, or have I to choose from the list?

The project folder has nothing to do with a 'LabVIEW project", it is a plain folder in the NI hierarchy. For example under LabVIEW 8.0 in Windows XP, the default would be:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\project

Place the files in that folder. That's it! 🙂

Message 9 of 14
(3,804 Views)
Hi Altenbach, your a genius. Problem solved. I'm so thankful.

Stars all the way dude
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,796 Views)