LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

parallel port in network computer

Is it possible to access the parallel port in network computer using labview?

because i am having laptop i dont have parallel port in it.  If i connect my computer to network is it posible to access the parallel port in network computer.

If not possible is it possible to use usb to parallel port adaptor.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,903 Views)

@ramkis wrote:

Is it possible to access the parallel port in network computer using labview?

because i am having laptop i dont have parallel port in it.  If i connect my computer to network is it posible to access the parallel port in network computer.

Define "possible". Lots of people ask if something is possible. What you really want to ask is "how difficult is it"? The answer is "yes, it's possible". How difficult? VERY. You cannot directly access it. You have to set up a messaging system between the two computers. Feel like doing that?

If not possible is it possible to use usb to parallel port adaptor.

Probably.

Message 2 of 9
(2,900 Views)

smercurio i agree with u.

I shoud not ask i"s it possible"  i should also consider the difficulties .

will system detect parallel port to usb adaptor as Lpt.. can we see it in device manager..

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,896 Views)
I have not done it with a parallel port, but with VISA you can setup a shared network resource. Pretty simple actually.

With a USB adapter, I don't think you can use inport/outport functions.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,887 Views)

i dont know labview that much

can u please explain it little bit more..(aceesing network parallel port)

Regarding parallel port adaptor,

can we use visa  write function to write data to parallel port adaptor.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,883 Views)

It has nothing to do with LabVIEW. You use MAX (Measurement & Automation Explorer). Select NI-VISA under 'Software'. Then in the right side window, click the VISA Options tab and under 'My System', select VISA Server.

Yes, you would VISA Read/Write.

Message 6 of 9
(2,873 Views)

Hello Dennis knustan

How r u ?

After I plug my parallel port adapter to my system, windows automatically installed the required software.

But in device manager it is detected as "parallel port printing support"  Under "universail serial bus controller".

I have used labview to write data to serial port But, I don know how to write data to  parallel port adapter.

Can u help me in this regards.? 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,844 Views)

You write the same way as the serial port.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,815 Views)

There only i confused

After inserting visa write funtion, in resource name controller what should i select. Eventhough i dont have serial port in my laptop it is showing some COM port.

If possible can u please little bit eloborate it.

I have learned to write serial port form webcast wednesday webniar only.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,805 Views)