From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paint bucket displayed

Solved!
Go to solution

I've got a GUI vi that is display an odd phenomena that I haven't run into before. On a display tab that happens to have some picture controls that display different .PNG images based on runtime program settings. Over these picture controls are some user controls. The weird behavior I am seeing is that when the operator mouses over the user controls, if the cursor moves to an area that is over the picture control, but not over one of the user controls, the cursor changes from the "finger" or "text bar" to the little "paint bucket", like the one in the icon editor (but not the "ink bottle" from paint). It is annoying/distracting, and actually takes a finite moment to switch back to the appropriate "tool" image when it mouses over something that is actually editable. Any thoughts as to the cause or cure?

Thanks,

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(3,810 Views)

No good ideas.

can you drag them to a new VI and get the same effect?

If so can you share?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(3,807 Views)

Is there any code which controls the cursor (e.g. on mouse enter and leave events)?

I do have a very vague recollection of seeing the paint bucket cursor when hovering over a picture control, but it's vague enough for me not to trust that it's a real memory.

Hi Yair and Ben!

I don't think there is any code controlling the cursor, am in the middle of a three hour run and am noting down UI issues to resolve now that I have a couple of the functional ones dealt with. I will try dragging the relevant pieces to another vi. I'm pretty sure that there isn't any code calling the windows dll or anything like that, and it does look like LabVIEW icon, but I'll have to hunt. There is a lot of code, I'm here helping out Ray.R on it, he was a busy coding bee for the last few months, but we've made the project a parallel one now, so I'm getting to play!

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(3,801 Views)

Well, here is a simple example with a .png picture. Mousing over the image portion gives me the paint bucket, and this is being run on different machine, leading me to believe it is inherent in LabVIEW, at least at this version.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(3,791 Views)

No problems for me with LV10+Win7.  Is this on a Mac?

I have seen similar problems, but I seem to remember getting the pencil cursor instead of the bucket.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(3,781 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LV_Pro

At first I was not able to duplicate but eventually...

1) before running the VI first go to the icon editor and selec the paint bucket. Close out of the icon editor.

2) Run the VI

3) Observe the wonders of LV.

I call it a bug.

After seeing Darin mention the pencil I repeated my procedure above but selected the pencil. Same bug different widget.

I still call it a bug.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 7 of 18
(3,780 Views)

Ok, turns out the solution is to shut LabVIEW down after doing an icon edit, then it is just the control adjusting finger. Selecting any of the icon edit tools gives you that as the "picture tool", unless you save your work and restart LabVIEW.  I must do a lot of background filling in icons to have it consistently be the tool I saw!     Thanks all!

I think it a bug too, but apparently not a major one. What version were you using Ben?

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

Message 8 of 18
(3,769 Views)

2010 SP1

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(3,762 Views)

I'll have to fire up 2011 later and see if it still there.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(3,758 Views)