LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

operate a servo motor using labview

i have to operate a servo motor using labview. the interface device is ni 6211 daq. if i want to give a voltage of 5v to the servomotor, how should i do it using labview. please con some body explain me the steps in labview 7.5
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(10,743 Views)
Search examples shipped with Labview (Help-Search Examples...) there is example called 'Gen Voltage Update.vi' that sends preselected voltage to particular output.

Message Edited by ceties on 07-24-2008 03:33 AM
LV 2011, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(10,738 Views)
Do you have some hardware that provides power and control to the motor. Just supplying 5V from the DAQ card directly into the motor won't work- the DAQ does not have enough current to drive the motor. Servo motors also usually have some type of feedback devices that interface to the drive electronics.

Can you supply more details on what you are trying to accomplish?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(10,720 Views)
hey thanx for the advice... the job that i want to perform is as follows:

there is a MINILAB SR 30 gas turbine in our lab.... the fuel control throttle of the engine is manually controlled.... i want to control the amount of fuel input into the gas turbine using a servomotor by interfacing it with labVIEW so that no manual requirement exists

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(10,703 Views)
You cannot drive a motor using just the DAQ card, you need to have some sort of motor drive or amplifier to actually control the motor. Depending on the drive you have, you will be sending a DC voltage to the drive, or some drives take a PWM signal or other type of modulated signal.
Eli S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(10,672 Views)
Thanks Eli_S.... Does NI have any customised solutions for the mofification that I want to carry out... the motor that I have is Futaba S3003..... or please could you suggest me some drives that I can use for the same.....
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(10,662 Views)
Hi,

So you are using a standard RC servo. You might actually be able to control this directly with the 6211. These kinds of servo motors take a PWM signal to determine the position of the servo-horn. If you do a search on google you can probably find a lot of information about how the PWM signal should be, but take a look at this link which tells you how you should modulate the signal. You can then use the counter on your DAQ device to generate this signal. Take a look at this link for an example showing you how to accomplish this. As far as power from the servo, you should probably use an external power supply as your DAQ device might not have enough current to drive the servo. I am not sure how much current does the servo require, but the DAQ card can only give you 50mA MAX on the 5V+ lines.
Eli S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 7 of 9
(10,636 Views)
Thanks a ton Eli_S.....
Your suggestions are really helpful.... I will implement your suggestions  in two days time.... will keep you in picture as to what the progress is.... thanks a lot again... looking forward to working with you closely through this discussion forum

Regards
Siddharth Dutta
IIT Bombay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(10,626 Views)
Hi, I have a Compact RIO and a digital output module with me.  I want to drive a linear actuator which has a supply requirement of 12V 6A (DC motor) using the hardware that I have. Is it possible to do the same? If not, could you please suggest some module which will enable me to achive my aim (to and fro motion of the actuator). I donot want to use any exrernal circuit board to move the actuator- I want to do it solely using the Compact RIO and it modules.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(10,027 Views)