From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open vi reference by string in executable

Solved!
Go to solution

Something interesting:

If I check the "show front panel when loaded" checkbox for subvi2.vi and create a build, it launches ok if I have a other Windows application maxmised on the screen. In other words, I launch my LabVIEW application, but before the front panels had an opportunity to appear, I switched to MS Outlook (maximised). Because of this, the problematic subvi did not have to draw its front panel (because it appeared behind Outlook).

I then restored Outlook, which revealed just a portion of subvi2.vi's front panel - still ok.

I then moved the Outlook window slowly to the side, gradually revealing more and more of subvi2.vi's front panel. When I got to revealing the ref control on the front panel, it crashed! So it seems there is a corrupted front panel control - the type def reference control icon won't display.

Now what do I do?

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 31
(1,729 Views)

Norbert,

user32.dll is not in the data folder of my build folder. LV must not be copying it?

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 31
(1,727 Views)

Can you show us the code where you are luanching VI2?

Yup:

Note there are three subvis being called, but the topmost is not pertinent to the problem. The two of interest are here iconed as MAIN.vi and Log on KeyPress Service.vi.

The coercion dot is there simply because the reference to the control Inter-code event cluster is being passed to a strict type-def of the cluster reference. I use a strict reference to make updating the code easier when it comes to adjusting the content of the inter-code event cluster type def.This coercion dot isn't a problem here (as far as I know).

Message Edited by Thoric on 04-27-2009 03:08 PM

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 31
(1,726 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thoric

Thoric,

the dll in the data-folder can create an unhandled exception when loading/unloading it. This is because Windows already has an user32.dll in memory (this should be true for all system dlls).

Please check if you configured other subfolder which might contain system dlls.

Regarding the control-issue: could you try to hide the control for a single run?

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 24 of 31
(1,723 Views)

Yikes!

1) In the build try shutting OFF "Disconnect" from typedef. The sub-VI needs to know that type def.

2) Mass compile LV (? ctlt-shift run arrow).

3) Typecast your cluster refnum as a U32 and show value in an indicator. should NOT be "0".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 25 of 31
(1,720 Views)

Norbert,

I haven't configured any special folders, so the user32.dll could only be copied into data folder of the build. As it isn't there, it mustn't be being copied by LV for the build.  My build folder has no other folders, and the data folder contains no user32.dll.

Ok, attempting a build with the control ref hidden..........

............it WORKS!!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Very Happy

Out of interest, the first subvi that is called (Main) also has this control reference (as you can see from the calling code snapshot above), but it has no problems showing its own front panel ??? What I might do is copy the control reference from subvi1.vi (MAIN) and use it to replace that in subvi2.vi (Log on Keypress Service.vi). If the latter is corrupt, this might resolve the issue...

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 31
(1,721 Views)

Yikes!

My code that scary?? Smiley Very Happy

1) In the build try shutting OFF "Disconnect" from typedef. The sub-VI needs to know that type def.

In the build, I have Disconnect unchecked. Checking this option was only something I briefly tried.

2) Mass compile LV (? ctlt-shift run arrow).

I've tried this a few times already (I have the LabVIEW Keyboard Shortcuts poster mounted in front of me at all times ! Smiley Very Happy )

3) Typecast your cluster refnum as a U32 and show value in an indicator. should NOT be "0".

I would, but as no front panel loads before the crash, I still won't be able to see the result Smiley Sad

We seem to have found the source of the crash now - a problematic front panel icon for the cluster reference in subvi2.vi. Hiding the control seems to prevent the crash!  Smiley Happy

Although I still don't know why this came to be, I'm pleased I can resolve it now once and for all. Re-create a replacement control.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the assitance!

Message 27 of 31
(1,719 Views)

Ben wrote:
[...]
[...]

Hm, i don't think so. The typedef is only a template for "how instances will look like". If the VI is compiled into an exe, there is no possibility to change the typdef, so it is valid to disconnect all instances from "their" template.

I know that this setting sometimes leads to issues and therefore it is available. But to be honest, i cannot explain why those cases arise....

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 28 of 31
(1,708 Views)

Norbert B wrote:

Ben wrote:
[...]
[...]

Hm, i don't think so. ...I know that this setting sometimes leads to issues and therefore it is available. But to be honest, i cannot explain why those cases arise....

hope this helps,

Norbert 

I stand corrected AND you can add a check mark to the "I can't explain..." collumn for me as well.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 29 of 31
(1,693 Views)

I have a LabView Executable and I want to control it by python using activex control. When I use the method getvireference I get the error open vi reference no longer matches vis in memory. A filename is no longer sufficient because fullname of  vi has own libraries. What is the reason for this ?

It works for other labview executable. Can you help me in this matter. 

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 31
(963 Views)