LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one master multiple slave signal/pulse trigger

Hi,
I have a hp8648c signal generator distributing signals to pulse generators (8-hp8133a) via power divider(in parallel).
I could only find the instrument driver for hp8133a.
The confusion is where the pulse gens are getting externally set by the master signal gen.

Having said that how should I initialize, configure and arm ALL pulse generators,but ONLY trigger 'N' number of  generators at a time. (where N is between 1 and 8). (I am only using the 2nd channel of the pulse gen with both 'true' and 'complement')

Thanks a bunch!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(2,906 Views)
I am not familiar with your generators, but I think you will need to set the trigger mode on each of the slave generators individually. If the trigger pulses are connected to all the slaves simultaneously, they will trigger or not depending upon how each is configured to respond to the trigger pulse. I don't see how you could "steer" parallel connected pulses to some generators but not all. Try something like this:

1. Configure Master Generator
2. Configure Slave Generators for all common parameters
3. Configure Trigger mode on selected Slave Generators
4. Arm all generators
5. Start Master Generator
6. Stop all Generators
Repeat 3..6 as needed

If you can reconfigure the Slave Generator Trigger mode wihtout stopping, then Repeat 3..5 before item 6.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(2,874 Views)
Hi Lynn,

Thanks for your help. I have a couple more questions.

1. How should I make a connection between step 1 and step 2? It is not very obvious for me to passively pass thru signals from master generator to slave pulse gens. (by the way, I was able to find an instrument driver for similar type master generator)
Is it possible to show using the attached two VIs? (Master: 8648, Slave: 8133)

2. What does it mean to "arm" an instrument? Is there any example to see how this is done?

Please let me upload two sample VIs for questions #1.

Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(2,854 Views)

Could not figure out how to attach two files.

Here is the second one.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(2,860 Views)

So is your question how can you ensure that the master device is armed (initiallized and running) first, and then the slave device is armed, correct?  This really is just a question of dataflow programming in LabVIEW.  If you don't want the second device to try to do anything until the main device is up and running you need to use data flow.  Usually, this means connecting the error cluster output of the last VI of the Master device after it starts running to the error cluster input of the first VI of the slave device configuration.  You could connect up the error clusters in other places, but for ease of explaning this in text, this is how I might recommend it.  If this is not what you are looking for, or if I've missed your core question altogether let me know.

Good luck!

Logan S.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(2,846 Views)

Thanks Logan!

Basically, the master signal generator will feed the signal to trigger pulse gens.

I hope to do a couple of things.

1. When the program starts, it prompts to message, "Do you want to recall the setting from memory setting?" This step is to bypass deskewing procedure. Then, it recalls the saved settings from pulse gens(assuming the test system is relatively good to make measurements) Otherwise, it will prompt user to deskew before triggering the pulse gens.

2. Only activate/trigger N number of pulse gen(s) based on the input from "# of Aggressor Pair" input.

Please see the attached VI and would appreciate your help.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(2,837 Views)
Sorry, could you try reposting?  I don't see any files attached?

Logan S.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(2,815 Views)
I can see those two files in my previous replies, but let me try this again.

Thanks for your help!

jjlee

ps. here is the first one with signal gen.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(2,798 Views)

here is the second one with pulse gens.

Please let me know if you still have the problem.

Thanx!

JJLEE

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(2,799 Views)

Here is what I have done using the basic instrument VI example (to add more pulse gens to the exisiting VI). There is no error, but the VI does not run...All instruments can be recognized using MAX. I am not sure how this should implemented. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(2,781 Views)