LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nested lvlib madness

I have to get some resolve for something driving me crazy:
Say, I make a nice API to do something neat. I put this API in its own little library called neatAPI.lvlib
Now, I want to use this API in some kind of project. The API shall be a private resource for this project. I decide I want this project inside a library aswell (call it project.lvlib). Therefore I want to NEST the neatAPI.lvlib inside the new project.lvlib. Labview allows this and I consider that a very powerful asset. What blows my mind though is the following: WHY DOES neatAPI.lvlib BREAK?????? Of course the lvlib itself is fine, but members calling subvi's will not be able to find these subvi's anymore, apparently because their namespaces are changed!!! (from "neatAPI.lvlib:subvi.vi" to "project.lvlib:neatAPI.lvlib:subvi.vi")

Someone please tell me I am doing this all wrong, because this is driving me mad!

Smiley Mad

I am waisting a lot of my time on this issue..

Aart-Jan

Message Edited by aartjan on 08-02-2007 12:46 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,872 Views)
Hello,

I'm sorry to be of no help, I can only say I ran into the same problem. I just idn't do it anymore and wait for the next version to properly support it.

Regards,

André
Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,854 Views)

Aartjan,

First, what version of LabVIEW do you use? Attached you will find a small example (written in LV 8.2.1) which shows my understanding of your problem. I created a neatAPI.lvlib with one main VI inside and a subvi called counter which is set to private. The main VI calls the counter VI. Then I created a project called Counter.lvproj which I placed in side of project.lvlib. When I open the project from this lib I can run the VI's inside of neatAPI.lvlib without any problems.

If the given example is not exactly what you mean can you then post a small example which reproduces the issue?

Regards,

RikP - National Instruments Applications Engineering

Message Edited by RikP on 08-02-2007 07:18 AM

Rik Prins, CLA, CLED
Software Development Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,836 Views)
Excellent example Rick!
Do the following to your example to invoke the problem:
-Add project.lvlib to counter.lvproj
-open main.vi: it is not broken
-close main.vi
-grab neatAPI.lvlib and drag it into project.lvlib
-open mani.vi again: it is now unable to find its subvi "counter.vi"
for bonus points:
-open counter.vi; main.vi is still broken!!

There MUST be a way to prevent this issue
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,821 Views)

Aartjan,

Ok, I am able to reproduce the issue now. But it does not make real sence to me. Why do you want to put a lvlib which contains a lvproj in side the lvproj that is in the lvlib? Please correct me if I am wrong and do not take it personal but to me it seems like trying to put an egg into a chicken with the chicken in the egg. Sorry but this was the only compare I could come up with Smiley Wink. I will still try to find an explanation for this, together with our R&D in Amerika, but i am just curious what the reasson behind this setup is.

Regards,

Message Edited by RikP on 08-02-2007 09:33 AM

Rik Prins, CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,814 Views)
The project is of no importance: I never put an lvproj inside an lvlib: the only thing I do is use lvlib's inside other lvlib's, which is extremely useful. Labview is also programmed to do so exactly, except for this issue.
Don't forget: a project is a meer container of files. A library owns its VI's: their names are mangled.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,802 Views)
Hi Rik/ Aart-Jan,

I've tested this in 8.5 and the bug is fixed...

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,752 Views)

Hi Ton,

You just outrunned me Smiley Happy. I just tested it myself in 8.5. Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Rik Prins, CLA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,740 Views)

LV 8.5 out??

whats new in there already?Smiley Surprised

edited: yep, i just found out on the NI main site...it is out! should i get it as part of our one year service (we got LV 8.2 in Aug last year...)?

Message Edited by Gabi1 on 08-10-2007 10:58 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wires...
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,734 Views)
yes if you have a valid SSP contract you should get the upgrade to 8.5 automatically.

Regards,

Rik Prins, CLA, CLED
Message 10 of 13
(3,728 Views)