LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help programming my tektronix scope

Hello,

I am fairly new to Labview.  I have a Tektronix scope 3054B and I am using labview 7.1.1.  I need to program the scope to trigger and capture the resulting waveform to file.  I also need to provide some user inputs to take in the unit serial number being tested (by the scope) and write to file with the waveform mentioned before.  I know that this is a very general question, but I was unsure whether I can do this just by modifying the driver vis that come with this product or do I create my own?  I need some guidance on how to establish communication with the device.

Thanks,

dt03
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,500 Views)

You don't modify the driver. You use the functions in the driver along with whatever code you need in a high level VI that you write. A string control or a pop-up dialog box (i.e. Prompt User for Input) and the functions on the File I/O palette would be some of the other LabVIEW code you would need to integrate with the driver functions. There should be a top level Getting Started example in the driver that demonstrates how to use some of the individual functions in your own program.

Before I can help you in getting started with communicating with the scope, which dirver are you using? There are two for 7.x, LabVIEW Plug and Play and IVI. Also, how is your scope connected to the pc? Both drivers support GPIB, Ethernet, and serial.

Message 2 of 4
(2,488 Views)
The drivers that came with it may or may not include trigger functions.  However, it may well indeed contain most functions you will need. 

The best way to start is to define how you want to impement the solution.

1.  What will it trigger from?  external signal?, signal level in the measurement? timing?  user selection? etc/...
2.  Describe step by step what you want to do as in a flowchart (for yourself).. (ie:  scope samples data, trigger occurs, datalog until end event)
3.  Examine existing drivers /  functions and identify missing ones.
4.  Look at User Guide and find out commands to trigger the scope (also how to set this up).
5.  Implement code for item 4 above..

This is just an idea to get you started.

The short answer to your question was:  you may not need to create your own driver, but you may have to implement some code.  Using VISA is the easiest was to accomplish this.

JLV

Message 3 of 4
(2,487 Views)

You'll find an attached file with a small application I developed a few days ago, which plots the waveform read by the Tektronix Scope (I don't remember the model).

It makes use of the VISA functions. i hope it helps you.

Edgar Guevara Codina

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,444 Views)