From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Builder breaks VIs

Every time I try to build my LabVIEW project, which by the way works fine within LabVIEW, into a stand alone application I an error like this...

"An error occurred while building the following file:
C:\DPS\Digital MacroView\Version 2\Alignment Station\Application\AlignmentStation.llb\CalculateOffset.vi
The VI became broken during the build process. Open the Build Specification and enable debugging to include the front panel and block diagrams."

The funny thing is the error switches between different files, niether of which appears to have anything wrong with them (see attached JPEG).  I've already set the "Additional Exclusions" option to "Do not disconnect type definitions or remove unreferenced members".

Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot this error?  The information provided by the error message isn't very helpful.  Is there more detailed information somewhere?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,201 Views)
ScotchTape,

This error has been seen only a couple of times and it would be helpful if you could post the project that is reproducing this error.  If you don't want to post your code publicly you can also open a service request through our support channels.

The one reference I could find to this dealt with needing to have the front panel of the main top level VI open when the project is built, and with having polymorphic VIs replaced.
Doug M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
For those unfamiliar with NBC's The Office, my icon is NOT a picture of me 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,166 Views)

Doug,

Here is a simplified version of my application that still exhibits the problem...

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,148 Views)
David,

I am able to reproduce the error but unfortunately I don't have a work around.  This is essentially the same error as has been reported to R&D as issue #467EDOVQ, however I'd like to ask R&D for any additional information they may have on a workaround.  I'll let you know if I find out anything else.

Message Edited by Doug M on 03-16-2007 05:48 PM

Doug M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,141 Views)

Thanks!  I appreciate your efforts in trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

David

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,122 Views)
Hi David,

So I did some further testing to try to pinpoint what is causing this error and it seems that using any .NET constructor, .NET method, or .NET property node within a LV Object Oriented class VI will cause this error upon building the application.  This was reported to R&D (#47KGBBG0) for further investigation. 

One thing that does seem to work as a (not very elegant) workaround is to wrap .NET contructor, method, or property nodes in a subVI that is NOT part of an OOP class.  This subVI, even when used by a OOP VI, seems to allow the application to build.

Hope the info helps, even if it wasn't the answer you were looking for...
Doug M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,096 Views)

Doug,

I appreciate the follow up email.  I'm sure I can use the work around if needed.  Thanks.

A couple of quick questions...

1)    Do you think this is something R&D can resolve in the next month or so, and if so will there be a software patch available?

2)    Do you know if the LabVIEW Database Connectivity Toolkit would exhibit the same kind of behavior if I use it within my LabVIEW class?

Thanks again!

David

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,088 Views)
Hi David,

For question 1, I would doubt a patch would be issued in that timeframe,

for question 2, the Database Connectivity Toolkit will not have this problem since it does not use .NET, plus all of the functionality is within a subVI.

Hope this helps!

Doug M
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,075 Views)

Can Scotch Tape be used to fix the broken vi's?wink smiley

Sorry, couldn't resist. I have nothing else to offer on theis topic.

Good Luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,069 Views)
I think it's gonna take duct tape.
Message 10 of 12
(3,067 Views)