From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myRio Shared Global Variables

I am sending a joystick commands from the PC to a wireless myRio. I began with a direct USB connection and had a library with three network shared variables. Worked perfectly. However, when then connecting via wireless there is no communication at all from the PC shared variables to the myRio. They are deployed and there is no firewall that I am aware of. I later tried a simpler bare bones example sending just a Boolean on off to the myRio from the PC and still wouldn't work. I attach the example.  I can control things ok from the from the panel of the myRio on the PC but not from mycomputer. I have the IP addresses set as the router gives them out. 192.168.0.100 for the PC and 192.168.0.101 for the myRio.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,161 Views)

can you ping the myRIO's IP address?

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,133 Views)

Yes, I can ping, 2ms to 4ms reply. I also checked that all the software is on the myRio. I was wondering if shared variables can be used through a wireless network at all? It says it works on ethernet but wireless is slightly different protocol I have been told - in the way data is sent.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,122 Views)

The shared variables wouldn't care if the network is wired or wireless.  As far as they are concerned a TCP/IP network would look the same to it either way.

I'm not familiar with a MyRIO, so I don't know if that aspect would affect whether network shared variables would work.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,118 Views)

Ok one more piece of information. If I create a shared variable library on the myRio I can send it to the PC but not the reverse from the PC to myRio. Just discovered that. Does that give a clue. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,115 Views)

Ok that was a big clue. It was the firewall. I thought it was off, but there seems to be two firewalls - the personal one and general one and here at Uni I cannot turn them both off. So I tried on another PC and it now works fine by turning the firewall off altogether. Doesn't matter about security as I am on an ad-hoc network that is not connect to the net!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,112 Views)

nice to hear you found the culprit ...

mark yourself as solution if you'd like 😉

:cheers:

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,106 Views)

One other point worth noting. I was talking to our networking guy and he told me that the Ping isn't high level enough to detect whether a program will communicate or not. Can't remember the details. How do I mark as solution?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,099 Views)

while logged in, each post should have a 'mark as solution' button at bottom right, just click it, you can also do that to multiple posts if you like

regarding ping, i concur.

but it is still a very simple way to start digging into network problems.
(and your post didn't suggest you were in a managed environment)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,096 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,084 Views)