LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

msiexec wants to shutdown LabVIEW

Ok, here's the deal. I have an application that needs to uninstall and then reinstall three MSIs, but it never actually calls anything that the MSIs install. Until recently this has worked fine. Now suddenly when the code gets to the uninstall part, a window pops open wanting to shutdown LabVIEW. The option is to uninstall anyway with the possibility that there might be a restart needed (there never is).

According to what I have found online, the only time that dialog should open is if the program is dependent upon what the MSI installed -- which my application is not.

I am running the uninstall using System Exec with a command line like: msiexec /qb /x <<name of the MSI to uninstall>>  /l*v "<<path to log file>>"

Any ideas?

Win7, LV2015

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,189 Views)
If you call your msiexec command manually from the command-line while LabVIEW / your program is running, does it still show up the dialogue saying to close it?

I wonder if there is some weird interaction between the calling process and msiexec (i.e. it knows it was called from another process) which makes it think there's a dependency?

Is there any possibility that your application and the msis (or the msi installer) could be referencing the same file/folder locations?

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,137 Views)
Yes, well. I think I may have found the problem. Maybe. Today GE IT pushed an Win7 update to our PCs that changed a boat load of crap and the problem seems to have gone away. Not happy. Don't like magic fixes.

Thanks for the suggestions, Sam.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,101 Views)

Finally have a chance to give the REAL cause of my problem. The IT update was a coincidence. The problem is that my application calls some .NET DLLs that do use the files from the MSIs. Apparently, the DDLs continue to hang onto those files even when I deinitialize and close my references to the DLLs -- hence the problem I saw. If I did anything that utilizes the DLLs before changing the MSIs I see the problem. If I don't, there is no issue.

Sooooo, the fix was to rewrite my application such that the calls to the DLLs occur in small separate executables. This fixes the problem because when the exe quits, Windows releases the MSI files. Apparently this is a fairly common problem with C applications, and they fix it in the same way. 

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

Message 4 of 4
(2,981 Views)