Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving average filter

Explain why you divide by the mean?

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(889 Views)

You simply can't know what the mean is going to be of 10 points...if you havn't received those points yet.  You can wait  until you get 10 points and only calculate your values after that.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(882 Views)

its part of the processing, some sort of normalizing the data.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(879 Views)

yes of course, but my gold standard is as if i had the 10 points already, that is the value I am comparing my results to.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(877 Views)

Well, you need to simply wait until you have 10 point before dividing by the mean and then wait again. If you already have the final array, simply loop to get all sequential subsets and process each. Here's a quick example.

(What is your LabVIEW version? For older versions, the code needs to be changed a little bit. EDIT: changed to 2012)

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(868 Views)

I have 2012 version.

The purpose is to not wait for all the points(which is actually much larger, in the range of thousands).

I am receiving these blcoks of points(10) in real time from a device,and i want to process them.

however the result of processing the samller blocks of data should be similar to as if i had the whole file (for example 8000 points),.

I have attached an image of an example output graph.

The blue plot is the ideal plot.(using all the points from  a file)

The green plot is using slightly fewer points,

and the red plot is using much less points (which is closer to the number of points i will be using.)

as you can see the red plot and blue plot are different. The shape is similar however the values are quite different.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(863 Views)

I don't see how dividing by the subset mean can convert one of your curves into another.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(856 Views)

well there is a high pass filter and a log after this stage, the results are the final result after all the processing.

but i was thinking that it is the division by mean that is causing the variation.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(848 Views)

I have to admit that I am quite lost as to what the goal of this exercise is.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(827 Views)