From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

max - modules under device & interface , and remote devices

hello all, 

i have a doubt regarding the devices detecting in MAX . some devices found under devices & interfaces , some devices under Remote devices . i have studied about the embedded controllers and modules but i cant get a exact output . post your views to find out easily about the Controllers & modules. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,588 Views)

Hi bhuvanesh,

devices and interfaces built into your computer are shown in the subtree "My System", while remotely connected devices are shown under "Remote Systems".

What's your problem with this distinction?

Sidenote: do you really need to upload "screenshots" as 10M pixel images?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,581 Views)

Hello gerdw ,

remotely means tell me with an example Mr .gerdw  .to remember in an easy way . 

PCi device means it is connected   to the CPU 

Embedded controller means it is connected with an Ethernet cable 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,551 Views)

@Mrtechie wrote:

remotely means tell me with an example Mr .gerdw  .to remember in an easy way . 

PCi device means it is connected   to the CPU 

Embedded controller means it is connected with an Ethernet cable 

That is pretty much it.  My examples for a remote would be a cRIO (which is an RT system with an FPGA backplane for the IO, you communicate with it over Ethernet) and an Ethernet cDAQ.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,548 Views)

MAX lists two things at the top level:

• My System, which (I hope) is pretty self-explanatory, with "Data Neighborhood" largely defining data structures you create (in MAX) to handle devices plugged into My System (listed in Devices and Interfaces) that utilize Software (LabVIEW and Device Drivers) listed under Software.
  • Remote Systems refers to other Computers with their own Operating Systems that are "visible" to My System through a TCP/IP connection and are "discoverable" by MAX.  To be "discovered", I'm pretty sure they need to be running "compatible software", which I think of as the controller-appropriate version of the RT-OS that comes with LabVIEW RT.  My RT boxes are PXI systems, with PharLap as the OS, whereas the cRIO that Crossrulz mentioned uses, I believe, a Linux OS.  Note that each Remote System has the same set of sub-systems (Data Neighborhood, Devices and Interfaces, Software, etc.) appropriate to their status as an independent System.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,540 Views)

Bob_Schor wrote:  whereas the cRIO that Crossrulz mentioned uses, I believe, a Linux OS.

The cRIO-906X and cRIO-903X series use the NI Linux RT (starting with the cRIO-9068, my go-to being the cRIO-9064 or cRIO-9067).  Older cRIOs use Pharlap or VxWorks.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,528 Views)