LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

making installer optimized for speed

I have a VI which is relatively big in size, when I made its installer the size of it is 1.2GB approx.

When I run the installer on another desktop, code run bit slow i.e responsiveness it bit slow.

e.g there is button configured for latch on release, when it is pressed, there we can see slowness on its release.

Is there any global optimization settings for building code?

Like for speed/size any other 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,982 Views)

move up

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,905 Views)

Hi Vindhyachal,

There's not a lot of information in your post to make recommendations based on, but for a 1.2GB installer I'm guessing that at least a sizeable fraction is for dependency packages (e.g. LabVIEW Runtime, DAQmx Runtime)?

If that is the case, you can produce a separate (additional) installer for just your code (without the dependencies, that you don't change) and then when you update your program it doesn't require such a large/slow installer.

This won't solve the initial install problem, but it might make future updates more appealing.

There are others in the LabVIEW community who have used other technologies to produce installers - I haven't tried doing this but I believe for example Inno Setup is popular. Perhaps that could improve your installer experience?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,900 Views)

Hi thanks for replying.

What I wanted to say is since on PC where I have to deploy have very little ram, so when I run the VI on it button updates very slowly.

I have no issues with installer getting slowly installed, as this is one time process.

But end user running installed program is very sluggish.

When user run it, once he presses button it takes little time to get back to off state.

So i wanted to know if there any way to optimize for speed code like in C languages?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,890 Views)

@Vindhyachal.Takniki wrote:

But end user running installed program is very sluggish.

When user run it, once he presses button it takes little time to get back to off state.

So i wanted to know if there any way to optimize for speed code like in C languages?

If after installation your code is running slow, then there is probably a problem with your code. Without seeing anything that's the best advice I can give. If coded correctly, LabVIEW applications can run just as fast as C applications.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,884 Views)

Sorry - it seems I misunderstood! 

At least during build time there is a setting for optimisations, which I think is what you're looking for, but I think for EXEs it by default is set to full optimization. 

I suspect if you can share your code here, we might be able to find some places that it could be improved to make it more responsive. 

A common theme in some cases is to have your user interface handling code run in a separate loop - this can help to make the UI seem responsive even if the code is busy processing lots of data or calculations or whatever.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,881 Views)