From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make waveform from multiple timestamps and data-Y value

I have  multiple timestamps at which instance I have data  (say a  1 or 0). I want to make a single  waveform out of these variable timestamps and the data associated with it.

background: I read Bus- Frame information and generate the timestamp based on the difference between 2 bus Frames.

Issue -  the  dt value cannot be  same as sometimes the frame data can come at a difference of 10 ms or 30ms. Hence Timestamp for each data.

How do I get a waveform out of this data.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,287 Views)

Hi aparab,

calculate the least common multpiple of your dt values. According to your description it should be 10ms.

Then create an Y array with a sample for each 10ms dt step: you need to interpolate in case there is a 30ms gap between samples…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,270 Views)

thanks GerdW,

Does NI offer any Solution  to this as I believe I aint the first with this problem and this should be a common problem for digital Data.

I have the Soln u mentioned on my list of  Workarounds  but  then it requires  testing for  all unforseen Scenarios as  its data-Manipulation

regards

Akshay

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,260 Views)

Hi Akshay,

there is a palette full of interpolation functions.

You can use them to interpolate your input data to a signal with evenly distributed (on the time scale) samples…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,254 Views)

Would an XY Scatter plot help? Two arrays of data, x-array of timestamps, y-array of values. You can use any arrangement of timestamps that you please, the dt becomes irrelevant.

My bad - didn 't read the OP question fully. You need a waveform, not a cluster of two arrays.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,242 Views)

Hi aparab,

in essence you have x-y pairs, from what you are describing. So this KB might help you (it is simply one possible implementation of GerdW's idea):

How Do I Convert XY Pairs to a Waveform? - National Instruments
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/53E96C82FF016576862574670052585D

The problem that you are facing here is that the waveform simply consists of these three elements: t0, delta-t and the y-values. That is the big advantage, but it is really not flixible. So either you get your data into that format, or you have to choose a different format, along the line that Thoric was thinking.

There may be better solutions to your specific problem, so if somebody has a diffent idea, I am excited in which way it goes!

Ciao, Niko

Niko NR
Systems Engineer, National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,205 Views)

Hallo,

Well its similar to an X-Y pair but  I have a absolue Time Information(timestamp) which cant be  easily used with this example VI.

Also  I thought there could be a soln from NI like a VI which takes care of this.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,202 Views)

Hi aparab,

I have a absolue Time Information(timestamp)

So you can easily determine the start time to be used for T0 in a waveform.

And you can easily calculate the time differences between T0 and all other timestamps: the result will be DBL values (time in seconds), which you can use in any interpolation function!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,199 Views)

yes i am doing something similar

thanks GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,189 Views)