From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lvlibp build was unsuccesful : Error 56002 (solution and step-step to build a packed library)

I was building packed libraries in preparation of converting TestStand LabVIEW adapter to use LabVIEW RTE and ran into this problem many times, I hope this solution helps somebody! 

Error 56002Error 56002

Problem:

Error 56002 occurs when building a packed library. 

Solution: 

The source library has 1 or more VI's that need to be opened and saved as being members of that library. 

Steps to create a packed library: 

1. Create a LabVIEW project, save it with a name. (preferably in same directory as source files)

2. Create a Library file in the project. Save it. 

3. Add files to the Library file. Save library again. 

4. Open the Library file. Open each VI from the LIbrary. If prompted to update the VI to be part of the Library.... answer Update.

5. Save the Library file. 

6. [in the Project] Create the Packed Library build specification. 

7. Successfully build the packed library! 

Sr Test Engineer at American Innovations - LabVIEW CLA - Kudo's are appreciated!!
Message 1 of 7
(3,742 Views)

Thank you for helping the community. 

Anthony M.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,708 Views)

Yo have my Kudos sir!

I replaced one vi in my project which was also part of the library. I needed to open the library and then from it open the vi I replaced. I was prompted to update the path and after this the build was successful.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,279 Views)

thanks past self!!    fixed this same problem today, LabVIEW 2019 now (was LV 2016 back in 2017.. )

Sr Test Engineer at American Innovations - LabVIEW CLA - Kudo's are appreciated!!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,973 Views)

My kudos as well.

But...

Why does LabVIEW have to be so obscure about this ( and other messages)?

"An error has occurred"   Really?   THAT'S NOT HELPFUL.

The "Expand for more info" gives a bunch of useless info (unless you're debugging the AppBuilder itself).  THAT'S NOT HELPFUL.

It does give the "error 56002", though - thanks for that, at least.

So let's click on the "link below" and go to < https://sine.ni.com/psp/app/doc/p/id/psp-848 > and enter "error 56002" or just "56002".

Surprise!  Your search found NO RESULTS.  Zero.  Zip.  Nada.  THAT'S NOT HELPFUL.

Sometimes I see the dialog state "An item with that path is already in the project"  REALLY?  Do I really have to explain to NI that naming that item or that path would be helpful ?

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,689 Views)

Same problem here, error 56002 should tell you the affected VI. A way to quickly identify the "bad" vi's for me was to drag all source libs into another one temporarily, which prompted the missing VI window

jackwhelan_0-1625571588959.png

I noted all the VIs that it was looking for, luckily only 5 in my case. Then I moved the Lib back to its original place in the project and opened the affected VIs. This prompted this window for each one and I clicked "Update" for all 

jackwhelan_1-1625571681564.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,268 Views)

Thank you for sharing this.  This was exactly what I needed to solve a recent build error.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,730 Views)