LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

list VIs inside 2010 executable

Thanks George for this information.I am just curious. Is there a reference anywhere in NI website about this change?

Thanks,

Priyadarsini S

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 30
(2,384 Views)

An entry is listed in the LabVIEW 2010 Bug Fixes page - http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/11874

201140 Extracting or Unzipping LabVIEW built applications using Winrar or Winzip
George M
National Instruments
Message 12 of 30
(2,367 Views)

Yes..I was able to test this difference here. I have winrar installed in my PC. When I choose a LV2009 exe and right-click on it, I get an 'extract' menu of winrar. But when I right-click on a LV2010 exe this menu does not appear. So there is definitely a change in the way 2010 application builder works. Thanks Gaurav and George for your help.

Thanks,

Priyadarsini

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 30
(2,348 Views)

Now we know why OpenG VI is not working in LV2010 exe. So what is the solution for this? Maintaining a folder of VIs in disk just for this listing purpose is not preferred. NI should definitely provide a way to list a folder inside exe.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 30
(2,338 Views)

Out of curiosity, why do you need to dynamically list the contents of the files in the executable? The contents will not change once the EXE is built. You can generate a log file during the build that will list the files in the build. You could then populate a string array in a VI that is included in the EXE and use that instead of having a file outside of the EXE.

George M
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 30
(2,275 Views)

George,

What you have mentioned is true - the contents would not change once EXE is built. I am not sure how to generate a log file during the build. But of course I can maintain an array of VI names which can then be populated in a tree or listbox. And one advantage of listing programmatically is that even if the contents of this folder is changed, we dont have to change any hardwired array constants.

Thanks,

Priyadarsini

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 30
(2,253 Views)

As of LabVIEW 2009, on the Advanced page, there is an option to log build information. That should contain a list of files that were part of the build. To follow up on my original question, why do you need to know the paths of files in the EXE? Is it for dynamic calls? Is it for a plugin system?

George M
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 30
(2,231 Views)

I would need the files list inside a folder for dynamic calls. As it is obvious this list is going to be fixed and not intended for plugin as of now. But for plugin I hope the best place for these VIs is a folder relative to the exe ?!

Thanks,

Priyadarsini S

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 30
(2,213 Views)

Useful thread! I stumbled upon the same problem (I think) when building a LV 2010 executable and trying to look for VI that I wanted to launch dynamically and stored in my code by its name only (not the full development path). In the development application, I use the Open G "List Directory Recursive" to search for the VI path, but a call to that VI within the exe, providing the Application.exe path as a starting point results in an error by LabVIEW "List Folder" function. The only reason I am chipping in is that in my case the error code is 13, not 7:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

So basically, it seems that I have to stop being lazy and either find a way to store the path of my dynamically called VI one way or another or indeed use the solution suggested above, that is obtain a list of the paths of VIs of interest from the logfile... This change IS an annoyance!

My 2 cts.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 30
(2,076 Views)

http://thinkinging.com/2009/10/02/how-to-list-files-in-a-labview-2009-executable-app/

Kind regards,

- Bjorn -

Have fun using LabVIEW... and if you like my answer, please pay me back in Kudo's 😉
LabVIEW 5.1 - LabVIEW 2012
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 30
(2,059 Views)