LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

large binary data readout from scope

Hi ,

I would like to know how I can readout a large amount of data, 10 MSamples for a Scope trace of 10 us/div and display it on VI.

I am using direct SCPI commands instead drivers, due to the speed I need. After manually configuring the Scope, I run in the loop the following commands

:FORMat:DATA REAL,32    

RUNSingle;*OPC?
:CHANnel1:WAVeform:DATA?

The queried data is in binary format and I don't know how to display it.

If you have any example program that could do it very fast, please share it.

Many thanks in advance

Y3G (...if there is LTE)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,408 Views)
The driver would use SCPI so I don't understand your comment. The manual will have an explanation of the conversion and the driver is an example of how to do it. Just open the block diagram. There should be a fetch function.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,401 Views)

What scope are you using?

As Dennis said, you need to read the manual.  It will tell you what the format of the data coming back is.  I've seen some just spit back 16 bit data that you then have to convert somehow.  Others will give you an actual double precision floating point.  And some have additional data they send with the raw data.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,375 Views)
One more thing: If the scope is sending you an array of integer values that you need to scale, remember that the math operations in LV are polymorphic so if, for example, you want to multiple an array of integers by a scalar floating point value the standard multiply function will do it. You don't have to index through the array one element at a time.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,363 Views)

And last, but not least, if you are reading 10 million samples, it could take awhile and you could run out of memory if you are not careful. Read the LabVIEW help on dealing with large data sets and/or this white paper for how to make things fast and use your memory efficiently.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,322 Views)