cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview NI IO Trace

Solved!
Go to solution

hi all,

i m working on a software in which i need to monitor All Serial communication without disturbing communication.

I thought NI Io trace in labview may helpful but i cant see NI IO Trace pallet in My Labview 2014 & labview 2015.

help me in this in the way how to Get NI I/O trace in labview by VI or NI Spy DLL and Headers...

Thank you in Advance......

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,566 Views)

Hey there,

There is a great article about using the NI I/O Trace Functions that can be found below.

NI I/O Trace:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P9MWSA0

I wanted to inform you that more recent drivers do not install the I/O trace API and so it must be downloaded separately.

NI I/O Trace Download:

http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/tech/lang/en/pg/1/sn/ssnav:drv/q/I%2FO%20Trace/

Best, 

Dane S.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,524 Views)

Hi sir,

Thanks for your reply....

I already installed NI trace 14.0.1

And I seen the mentioned arrival also.....

After installing NI trace 14.0.1 also I can't find NI trace in my labviw....

I m using LabVIEW 2015....

I doesn't understand why I m missing......

Thank you once again....

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,517 Views)

The latest IO Trace appears to be for LabVIEW 2014, not 2015.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,506 Views)

Thank u for your reply....

But I m missing NI I/O TRACE in my LabVIEW 2014 also....

Tell me is I'm missing anything....

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,503 Views)

I suspect you are not missing anything, but, in fact, have too much.  I tried doing a similar installation on one of my machines that has LabVIEW 2014 and 2016 installed.  I downloaded I/O Trace 2014 and tried to install it -- it said that nothing would be installed (and they were right, nothing was installed).

It is often the case with NI Software that "Version matters".  What I suspect is required is to have LabVIEW 2014, and no more recent version of LabVIEW, installed in order for I/O Trace 2014 to install properly.  In my own experience with installing and uninstalling LabVIEW, uninstalling is a much trickier operation than installing.  I have yet to be successful in doing an uninstallation of "the latest version" of LabVIEW -- there always seem to be pieces left over that make it so almost no LabVIEW version works successfully.  The only way I've been able to do a "partial rollback" is to do the following:

1. Go into Control Panel, Programs and Features, National Instrument Software, and "Remove All".
  2. Reboot.
  3. Reinstall the oldest version of LabVIEW that I want.  If there are any "Version-specific Toolkits" (like I/O Trace), install them after installing the other LabVIEW Program, Modules, and Toolkits for that Version.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Optionally, install the Device Drivers you need for this Version (you can also leave this to the final step).  Reboot.
  6. Repeat Steps 3-5 with newer LabVIEW Distributions, always doing LabVIEW, Toolkits and Modules, Reboot, optional Device Drivers, Reboot.
  7. If you have not yet installed Device Drivers (waiting until the end), do it now, and do the final Reboot.

This method has (almost always) worked for me.  A LabVIEW "uninstall" can take about as much time as a LabVIEW "install", so be patient.  Some of my experience with multiple versions of LabVIEW were made in the LabVIEW 2010-2014 era, and I did, on several occasions, try "selective removal of only the latest stuff".  This took a long time to uninstall, a long time to reinstall, and still didn't work, so I used the "Undo-it-All" technique described above and learned my lesson.

It is possible that if you only have LabVIEW 2014 and 2015, a selective "uninstall" will work, but I'll wager a dime that it will fail, and you'll just waste the time to "do the experiment" and have it fail.  

"You Pays Your Money, and You Takes Your Choice".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,495 Views)
Solution
Accepted by paripoornan

I suspect you are not missing anything, but in fact have too much.  I tried doing a similar installation on one of my machines that has LabVIEW 2014 and 2016 installed.  I downloaded I/O Trace 2014 and tried to install it -- it said that nothing would be installed (and they were right, nothing was installed).

It is often the case with NI Software that "Version matters".  What I suspect is required is to have LabVIEW 2014, and no more recent version of LabVIEW, installed in order for I/O Trace 2014 to install properly.  In my own experience with installing and uninstalling LabVIEW, uninstalling is a much trickier operation than installing.  I have yet to be successful in doing an uninstallation of "the latest version" of LabVIEW -- there always seem to be pieces left over that make it so almost no LabVIEW version works successfully.  The only way I've been able to do a "partial rollback" is to do the following:

1. Go into Control Panel, Programs and Features, National Instrument Software, and "Remove All".
  2. Reboot.
  3. Reinstall the oldest version of LabVIEW that I want.  If there are any "Version-specific Toolkits" (like I/O Trace), install them after installing the other LabVIEW Program, Modules, and Toolkits for that Version.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Optionally, install the Device Drivers you need for this Version (you can also leave this to the final step).  Reboot.
  6. Repeat Steps 3-5 with newer LabVIEW Distributions, always doing LabVIEW, Toolkits and Modules, Reboot, optional Device Drivers, Reboot.
  7. If you have not yet installed Device Drivers (waiting until the end), do it now, and do the final Reboot.

This method has (almost always) worked for me.  A LabVIEW "uninstall" can take about as much time as a LabVIEW "install", so be patient.  Some of my experience with multiple versions of LabVIEW were made in the LabVIEW 2010-2014 era, and I did, on several occasions, try "selective removal of only the latest stuff".  This took a long time to uninstall, a long time to reinstall, and still didn't work, so I used the "Undo-it-All" technique described above and learned my lesson.

It is possible that if you only have LabVIEW 2014 and 2015, a selective "uninstall" will work, but I'll wager a dime that it will fail, and you'll just waste the time to "do the experiment" and have it fail.  

"You Pays Your Money, and You Takes Your Choice".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,495 Views)

Thanks Bob,

Thanks for your answer....

I will try what you said......

And reply you again.....

Thank you....

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,487 Views)
Thank you Bob Schor, Now its working fine.... I got NI I/O trace pallet.... Thank you once again...
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,479 Views)