cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview 2017 (x64) hanged importing a shared library

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, everyone.

A shared library (with a header file) was delivered along with an equipment.

Labview 2017 (64bit) terminated responding to windows 10 (64bit) when I tried to import the Dll file with the wizard. 

Labview hanged when parsing the header file. I waited for almost an hour but nothing happened.

I used to import the same dll file using Labview 8.6 and succeeded. 

The header file is in ANSI C format. I am sorry that the header file and dll can not be supplied.

But I can supply the error log or message if I know how to find it.

Any idea? Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,399 Views)

@SZFan wrote:

There must be a bug... At least with the error log or message we would have something to go on.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,392 Views)

Is the DLL 64-bit complied? 

If you have used the same DLL with LabVIEW 8.6, I doubt that it is 64-bit. And there for your can't use it with your 64-bit LabVIEW. 

Why are you using LabVIEW 64-bit?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,370 Views)

@dkfire wrote:

If you have used the same DLL with LabVIEW 8.6, I doubt that it is 64-bit. And there for your can't use it with your 64-bit LabVIEW. 

Good point, but LabVIEW still should not crash.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,360 Views)

LabVIEW 2009 was the first version to be available as a 64-bit version on Windows. So your DLL surely must be 32-bit if it worked in 8.6. Unless your supplier can deliver you a 64-bit version of the DLL, it will NOT work with LabVIEW 64-bit.

wiebe@CARYA

wrote:

@dkfire wrote:

It shouldn't, but handling DLLs is a pretty nasty part. The DLL import library wizard needs to know all the exported functions and there is no trivial API to do that. The DLL has to be loaded and then the executable image headers need to be walked manually to retrieve all the supported symbols. This could be done with LoadLibraryEx() to load the DLL as image only but then Windows will not check if the DLL is loadable by the current application, so your 64-bit LabVIEW would happily extract the exported functions and start creating import wrappers for it only to fail when trying to load the DLL for the actual wrapper VIs.

A DLL can do any of a few thousend nasty things to throw a wrench into this.Some even intentional.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,352 Views)

Thanks for reply.

Can you please tell me where to find the log ?

The windows event log just said that there was a error of application hang with unknown reason. And nothing more was given.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,343 Views)

Thanks for all replies above.

The dll file was complied in 32-bit system. And I also tried Labview 32bit, nothing positive happened.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,339 Views)

@dkfire 已写:

Why are you using LabVIEW 64-bit?

No, the DLL was 32-bit compiled. 

But I tried Labview 2017 32bit, the same thing happened.

And I also think that Labview 64bit should work fine with a 32bit dll.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,338 Views)

@rolfk 已写:

LabVIEW 2009 was the first version to be available as a 64-bit version on Windows. So your DLL surely must be 32-bit if it worked in 8.6. Unless your supplier can deliver you a 64-bit version of the DLL, it will NOT work with LabVIEW 64-bit.

wiebe@CARYA

wrote:

@dkfire wrote:

It shouldn't, but handling DLLs is a pretty nasty part. The DLL import library wizard needs to know all the exported functions and there is no trivial API to do that. The DLL has to be loaded and then the executable image headers need to be walked manually to retrieve all the supported symbols. This could be done with LoadLibraryEx() to load the DLL as image only but then Windows will not check if the DLL is loadable by the current application, so your 64-bit LabVIEW would happily extract the exported functions and start creating import wrappers for it only to fail when trying to load the DLL for the actual wrapper VIs.

A DLL can do any of a few thousend nasty things to throw a wrench into this.Some even intentional.

I also tried Labview 2017 32bit and the nothing changed. 

And, I used some of the VIs imported previously by labview 8.6 in a new VI created by labview 2017. The new VI worked fine with no error.

The Labview application hanged when parsing the head file. So I think maybe the error has nothing to do with the dll file at the time. It is all about the header file and the wizard.

One more message :  there are 85 functions in the dll totally. I don't think it is too much for the wizard. And the wizard hanged almost immediately after starting dealing the header file. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,332 Views)

wiebe@CARYA 已写:

@SZFan wrote:

There must be a bug... At least with the error log or message we would have something to go on.

I checked the path "my documents\ Labview Data\LVinternalReports", and there is noly one file created last year in the 17.0f2(32-bit) folder. Nothing new was found in it. And no file in the 17.0f2(64-bit) folder. 

If somewhere else where I can find the error log, please tell me.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,328 Views)