LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

install previous version without SSP

Solved!
Go to solution

i have been using LabVIEW since 8.6 but back then you were given the installation files on disk.  i have had SSP on and off since then so i was either given new disks or for later version i was able to download it from their website.  the last time i had SSP the latest version was 2020 which i have and i am currently using,  however i need to change PC's so i tried to reinstall 2020 on the new PC and quickly realised i couldn't download the version i needed because i didn't have an active SSP.  and cant install the version it will let me download as i cant activate it, in the past i was always able to install up to the latest version the SSP was active for.  i contacted support who didn't understand my query and after emails back and forth and about 3 months told me ask the question on here as i don't have an active SSP.  surly i should be able to reinstall the version i have without having to purchase SSP again?  or am i missing something very obvious. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,353 Views)

Well you should have archived that download you did last time. That is your only real fault here. Assuming that you can keep downloading old files from a server is a little bit blue eyed nowadays.

Now it seems, technical support did intentionally or not, play the total nitwit who doesn't even understand what the technical problem is they are supposed to handle. Technically you have a perpetual license (unless you bought a LabVIEW Basic subscription back then) and are entitled to at least get the ability to download it somewhere and reinstall it on your PCs. But nobody said that this has to be a point and click download. They are totally in their right here to make it a bit more of a hassle. There even exists a USB stick they can send you for the actual version, as there are industries where internet connections are simply not an option, although there is a chance that they will quote you a 20 week delivery time because of the current supply chain crisis. USB sticks are surprisingly difficult to get your hands on nowadays. 😀

Basically you need to talk to technical support again, and tell them that you have a legal perpetual license and they need to send you one of those USB sticks, but that you are also not such a bad guy and very willing to download it from a private link they can prepare for you specifically. Persist and demand to talk with someone higher in the management chain if the person at the line still pretends to have no idea what you are talking about.

And once you have downloaded it, archive it on a safe location!

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 5
(1,331 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dave76

As you are using LabVIEW 2020, you are in luck. 

Download and install NI Package Manager.

From there you can install LabVIEW 2020 and all the drivers needed. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,325 Views)

Thank you dkfire, that worked perfectly.  i did not know package manager would allow you to download previous versions like that.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,268 Views)

I hate to bump an older solved thread, but before anyone else comes along and gets excited about this for older versions, I was not able to install anything before 2019, after our SSP expired, so this did not work for me. Oddly enough, the description on the package manager page shows:

Included Versions
17.0.0, 17.5.0, 17.5.1, 18.0.0, 18.0.1, 18.0.2, 18.5.0, 18.5.1, 19.0.0, 19.5.0, 19.5.1, 19.6.0, 20.0.0, 20.1.0, 20.5.0, 20.6.0, 20.7.0, 20.7.1, 21.0.0, 21.3.0, 21.8.0, 2022 Q3, 2022 Q4

Maybe it's just me, but I was not able to find any setting or anything that would allow me to view or install earlier releases. Similarly, with a Package Manager from a LV 2018 on one of our other computers I was not able to install anything pre-2019. I understand NI's position but this is really unfortunate, to say the least, when you're just trying to replace a hard drive and didn't back things up properly.

johnnyfear_0-1670278720401.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,149 Views)