LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insert space character between every two character in a string

Solved!
Go to solution

That's a neat trick! Oddly, it's ~2x slower than even the build array methods. Still way faster than the regex though.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,526 Views)

@igagne wrote:

Oddly, it's ~2x slower than even the build array methods.

That might be very well possible but I typcially don't believe statements like that unless I have a chance to see the benchmarking code used. 😄

(90% of benchmarks posted here are completely wrong or meaningless)

Message 12 of 18
(1,506 Views)

Insert spaces pub_BD.png

Normal priority. Debug off. Warning: RegEx takes a long time, reduce string length/array size for timely results.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,494 Views)

Dear Altenbach,

Thanks for nice idea.

I have one doubt. I think it wont work if string length is odd.

Space.png

I think input string length is always even (i.e. 1FFDC802 instead of 1FFDC82).

EDIT: Sorry I have not read your comment.

(of course tweaks might be needed if the number of input characters is not even or if the last space is unwanted, for example)

Munna
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(1,467 Views)

I tried Altenbach code and correct it does not work if sting lenght is odd

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,428 Views)

@jbore08 wrote:

I always said that the code would need to be tweaked if the string is of odd lenght so I don't understand why you are repeating it. No need to even test. 😄

Have you tried the decimate/interleave code? It also truncates the input data to an event number and thus has the same problem. Nothing wrong with that if the lenght is guaranteed to be even.

The original problem was to add a space between every two characters, implying that the lenght is even. If odd lenghs can occur, we need specifications on how to handle it.

From the default data in the original problem, the string looks hexadecimally formated, exclusively containing the characters 0..F. A pair represents a byte. It is very rare to have a stray nibble these days, so I think string of uneven lenghts are highly unlikely unless an error occurred somewhere else. How can you possibly get half a byte?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,416 Views)

Just add a space character at the end of the string. If string lenght is even it will be ignored, if odd then the last character of the original string will be present at the output followed by this space character. You can delete or not this space character after depending on the requirement.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,404 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@jbore08 wrote:

I always said that the code would need to be tweaked if the string is of odd lenght so I don't understand why you are repeating it. No need to even test. 😄

Have you tried the decimate/interleave code? It also truncates the input data to an event number and thus has the same problem. Nothing wrong with that if the lenght is guaranteed to be even.

The original problem was to add a space between every two characters, implying that the lenght is even. If odd lenghs can occur, we need specifications on how to handle it.

From the default data in the original problem, the string looks hexadecimally formated, exclusively containing the characters 0..F. A pair represents a byte. It is very rare to have a stray nibble these days, so I think string of uneven lenghts are highly unlikely unless an error occurred somewhere else. How can you possibly get half a byte?

I agree.

Feature creep. We just can't get away from it can we Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,389 Views)