LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imbed image and text in report

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to make a label with a logo in the upper left corner, a graphic down the right side (an arrow showing flow direction)

and text within the body of the label, without success so far. I have been trying to use the report generation vi's to accomplish this, but it seems that just doing the "standard" report rather than a Word based one (no Office products on computer, does have .... Works, yech!) limits considerably, although I don't know how to do it with the Word template capability, although I suspect that would make life a lot easier. I really don't understand what the "standard" report can do. When I set the alignment of the Append Image to Report, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the placement of my graphics. Also, it is an append, which means that I end up with the image on one label, the text on the next. What I want to do is have them both on the same label, the Logo above and the arrow to the right of the text.

I tried a bunch of things, including using the report generation's "Append front panel image" and making a cluster that was written to make up the entire visable front panel, but it was printed distorted and small, similarly the Append control image.

The printer is a Zebra TLP3842 usb

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,151 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LV_Pro

LV_Pro,

As fas as I understand, the alignment inputs only apply to HTML format, so they won't affect the Standard reports. 

Try putting your logo in the header of the standard report.  Then on your front panel, create a tab control, onto which you place your arrow graphic and text box in the orientation you want them printed on the page.  Make the tab control background transparent, and append the tab control image to the report.  I think it will be left-justified no matter what you'd prefer, so play with the size and spacing of everything until it comes out looking how you want.

Message 2 of 6
(3,144 Views)

Thanks 

Any particular reason for a tab control, other than it is a control that you can place other controls on?

Not real happy with the report generation toolkit, a little too limited, particularly if you aren't using HTML or Word/Excel. In the later case I have had a lot of customers that did not want to put Office on their machines.

Been having trouble printing in LabVIEW since I started, LabVIEW 2.5 fall '92. Really wish there was a easy equivalent to some of the "print" commands, that didn't carry a ton of baggage.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,139 Views)

That's exactly the reason I use the tab control.  It's more or less just a decoration, and doesn't do much else.  Plus, if you don't want to have a huge GUI, but will have several pages with different content, you can put each page on a separate tab.  You will have to programmatically switch pages of the tab control before adding each page's content to the report, though (I've actually used this to create "flip-book" animations, but then I've probably got too much free time).

I agree on the limitations of the report generation toolkit.  NI has yet to add support for the office toolkit for LV 2009 64-bit.  I've long wished they'd add MS Powerpoint to it, though there are macros that I can run in Powerpoint to do essentially the same thing.  I could go on, but I hope that my suggestion helps.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,136 Views)

It would also be nice to have something equivalent for the OpenOffice stuff, I'm seeing more customers using that. Oh well!

I will give it a try, when I'm back at that site, which may be this evening.

P

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,127 Views)

Thanks! 

I modified this a bit, putting the logo on the tab control as well. Had some issues with the label printing without the text, fixed that, now have pretty nice labels.

Now if I can just put the USB glitches mentioned in my other post to bed.

Putnam

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,106 Views)