LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create an executable

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to make an executable file from LabVIEW. This is my first time ever creating an executable so I need instructions in basic terms. I tried to do it using the project manager. The file that was created needs LabVIEW Run-Time in order to work.

Is it even possible to have a LabVIEW program and create an executable that would let any computer without NI products run the appllication?

Also, I searched for some instructions of how to do this but could not find any useful ones. If anyone can direct me to a post or set of instructions that explain how to create an executable that would be perfect. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,599 Views)

since you said you created a file from project manager and it needs the runtime, you've already created an exe and I don't understand what other instructions you need for creating an exe.

An exe requires a run-time just like every other windows program. Can't avoid it.

Message 2 of 11
(3,593 Views)

To be able to run a LabVIEW build exe file you need at least LabVIEW Run-Time Engine installed on the PC that has to run the exe.  

Message 3 of 11
(3,589 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hotshot

Here is a link to a tutorial

Distributing Applications with the LabVIEW Application Builder

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3303

Tim
GHSP
Message 4 of 11
(3,586 Views)

so can I somehow compile the runtime with my executable file so that in the end, the user can run the executable file I created? Does that make sense? Has anyone done that?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,569 Views)

The user can run any executable you want as long as the run-time gets installed - a separate install. A long time ago, the build included the run-time. A separate run-time is considered a feature.

Message 6 of 11
(3,560 Views)

Is there any way i can make the RunTime install silently with no user interaction? If I can, how? I have looked at other posts and how NI tell me to do it (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/188FE05BA8933F4486256BC300708527) , but it is way over my head. Is this the right way? or is there a simpler way?

I do not understand how to compile the installer and executable file together. I can create the executable from the LabVIEW file that I need to run, but I want the RunTime to install automatically before that executable is executed. (If this statement doesnt make sense, tell me. )

Any feedback would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,544 Views)

When you right clicked on Build Specifications to create the exe, you should have noticed the option New>Installer. Select that. There is a category 'Additional Installers' where you can select the run-time as well as any other drivers you might need (i.e. DAQmx). I've never tried to do a silent install.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,532 Views)

I have done the runtime install when the exe is installed. It worked well for something that does not require device set up. If you need to install DaqMX then it get more complicated. So if you want to install a program that lets the user play tic tac toe then it would do the installation for the run time and tic tac toe and run great with no extra operator interaction.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,521 Views)

We have LV7.1.  Does the latest run time engine work with this version??  If not, can you even still get the RT Engine for 7.1?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,107 Views)