LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i know that my FPGA VI logic is placed correctly on the FPGA???

Helloo,

I am very new to LABVIEW and using LV8.0 version
I am using cRIO-9002, cRIO-9101 chassis, NI-9401 in slot1 of the chassis. I have written some simple VI which will take True or False as a input and based on that output will come as 12 or 3 respectively. I am writing this output at DIO[7:4] of NI-9401.  My VI is running successfully , generating intermediate files and BIT file also. In the Front panel i am able to see correct output also. But when i see the output at the output pins of NI-9401, nothing was coming. I am attaching my file. In this i have used FPGA I/O node to write output on that pins of NI-9401. My Q is

1. Can i expect output pins of NI-9401??
2 . Is there anything is to be done or write anything interface VIs..etc are to be done to get the outputs.
3. My way of procedure is complete or not??

Help me in this issue plz.

Reagrds,
Ravi Kumar.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,949 Views)

raviece54

Are you setting up the line direction?  You may want to try and run the example "Digital Line Input and Output.vi" from the example finder.

Message Edited by StevenA on 05-10-2008 12:01 PM
SteveA
CLD

-------------------------------------
FPGA/RT/PDA/TP/DSC
-------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,933 Views)
Helloo SteveA,

Yes, i set the line directions, but i could not able to find the result at output pins of NI-9401.
My FPGA VI succeessfully generated BIT file and after that i run my VI in the FRONT PANEL then i am getting the result when i saw with indicators.
At this step,
1. my bit file is successfully programmed on to the FPGA??
2. FPGA is having communication with NI-9401 now??
3. If communication between FPGA and NI9401 is estableshed, then i should get the output at DIO pins of NI9401??

Is I am thinking in right way??

To get the output, is it required to make use of the "FPGA OPEN" and "FPGA CLOSE"...etc type of interface.

Regards,
Ravi Kumar.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,888 Views)
Raviece54,

Once your program is compiled (this happens when you click on the run arrow) it automatically generates the bitfile and downloads it to the FPGA. Assuming your code is written correctly, you should expect to see inputs/outpus on the NI 9401 based on the code. For debugging/testing purposes you do not need to develop an interface for the FPGA as the front panel of the FPGA VI is the interface. Once you are ready to build a complete application your interface you be developed either on the RT controller or on a host PC. As mentioned above, I would try runnning a shipping example first to make sure that your hardware is working correctly. Once you have verified that the hardware is working correctly, I would save a new copy of the example and modify it accodring to your needs.

Eli S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,855 Views)
Helloo Eli S,

I am not getting the output at DIO pins of NI-9401.
I connected cRIO-9101 chassis to cRIO-9002 Controller and NI-9401 is connected to slot1 of chassis.
I written a simple Vi which will write the digital data on NI-9401 DIO pins. I am able to see that on front panel that digiatal data is correctly written on those lines using indicators. But when i check the output put voltage level at DIO pins using multimeter, i obsered that nothing was coming.
I am attaching my file.
Please find the attachement and help me ASAP.
GIve me suggestions , if i am doing anything wrong as i am very new to labview.

Regards,
Ravi Kumar
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,837 Views)
I checked the VI you posted before, I made some minor modifications (mostly with the error wires) and changed the directions of the lines to Output. The VI actually works perfectly. I checked the voltage with a multimeter and everything works as it should. I did have to change the IO nodes when I imported the VI into a new project but that shouldn't matter. I am posting the VI again and it should work!

Eli S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,802 Views)
Helloo Eli S,

I think you are working on LABVIEW8.5.
I am using LABVIEW8.0. So there is error in opening your file saying that the labview version that i am using is older version, so can not open.

How can i open that file??is there any conversion from one version to another??
If you have LABVIEW8.0..please send me in that version.

Thank you very mush Eli

Regards,
Ravi Kumar.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,792 Views)
This is in LabVIEW 8.0 and it should work. Rememer to re-configure the I/O nodes

Eli S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,762 Views)
Hello Eli S,

But still i am not getting. 

I am seeing voltage level at DIO pins of NI9401 as 0V only.

I observed that in MAX

Cofiguration >> my system >>  software >>  NI-VISA version is 4.1
 and
Cofiguration >> remote system >>  software >>  NI-VISA version is 3.4.1

will it be a problem?? I am setting initial line direction as a output port  in the project explorer NI9401 module and also set the line direction as a output in  front panel.

Is there any chance of problem in hardware?? like connection between the FPGA(chassis cRIO9101) and NI9401??
how can i check that my hardware is working perfeclty??

I am thinking that the only way is what i am doing right now...like writing digital data to lines...will be a simple experiment to check my hardware.

Sorry, i may be wasting your time, but if I overcome this problem, i can start my application on cRIO which is bigger in logic.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Ravi Kumar.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,737 Views)
If the VI I sent does not work, it is very possible that your module is faulty. One last thing we may be able to try is re-installing the software on the cRIO. Can you tell me what CompactRIO do you have? Also, you have LabVIEW 8.0 right?
Eli S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,719 Views)