From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting data from a photodetector using LABVIEW

I have an infra red interferometer and I am using an IR photodiode in my setup. I have a connector box and a DAQ card ( model number NI-PCI-MIO-16E1). How can i use labview to get intensity data versus time ?   
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,231 Views)

What is the output of your sensor?

If is is an analog signal in the +/-10V range or less, just wire it into an AI channel (differentail is usually good) .  Try prototyping in max to validate oprtation and scale.  next start with some of the AI examples that ship with LabView. 

More detail about the signal is helpful.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,224 Views)

Hello,

Are you past setting up the hardware? Can you read in values in MAX? The next step would be to create Daqmx task, you can find examples on how to create an AI task in the LabVIEW example finder: Help >> Find Examples. Another option is to use the Daq Assistant in LabVIEW. This is an express VI whose setup looks just like a DAQmx task in MAX.

Regards,

Anna K.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,205 Views)

Unlike Paul wrote, I would suggest to use RSE instead of Differential, as the photodiode is not grounded. Otherwise you will pick up massive (sometimes above input limits) power line signal.

Felix 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,196 Views)