Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

get cluster element control index by name

Solved!
Go to solution

Bob,

@Bob_Schor wrote:

I was unaware of the Get/Set Control Values by Index, and now that I've read about them, I don't understand why one would use them. Of course, no code employing them (even if it generated errors) was provided, so I've yet to see this function in context. Under what circumstances would you want to use such a function?

Bob Schor

These functions allow reading and writing FP objects remotely (or locally) without switching to the UI thread.

This is a big deal for large applications.

In a current project, I'm updating 198 FP indicators (booleans, doubles, rings) from a subvi in 1 ms.

It takes extra programming, but the benefits are certainly worth it.

steve

I always keep a rule that I update indicators only by wire. You can always group up indicators into clusters, or using SubPanels you can brake up the code into smaller modules. Using 198 individual indicators on a single front panel feels a bad approach anyway. I am sure that the user does not need to see all these indicators at the same time! Is there any human being who can take this amount of info by one look? 🙂 I would use SubPanels, pop-up dialogs, etc., if I needed to deal with such huge number of indicators. Even makes it easier to debug if you have modular user interface.

However, for some special cases I use a nice toolkit from MGI. There is a certain scenario when using the Unbundle by name / Bundle by name combo is not that useful. In these cases I use the "MGI Replace Cluster Element.vi":

clusterreplc.png

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 11
(791 Views)