LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

frequency filtering with sound card input

I created a VI that filtered a particular input at the desired frequencies (I have attached it incase you are interested, but its not necessary to answer my question).  However, when I replaced my testing signal (express vi) with the soundcard input, it no longer filtered.  I think this is becuase my filters require dynamic data type input and the soundcard doesnt output that, thus requiring me to use a converter.  Could you please direct me to more information about the "dynamic data" type?  As well as offer any solutions or insight into filtering in the frequency domain with input from a soundcard.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,069 Views)
Hi Elen,

The Dynamic Data type (DDT) can hold many different types of data. When you use the "Convert to Dynamic Data" Express VI, you can configure exactly how you want to interpret your data. In your case, you are converting the array to a "1D array of scalars - single channel". This basically means that you are still passing the data as an array in DDT clothes.

The issue with your VI is that you only are passing the array of data to the Filter Express VI. When this VI receives an array that doesn't hold any timing information (t0 and dt) it expects that dt is 1 second. In your case, dt is the reciprocal value of the sample rate, so you will get wrong results if you don't specify this for the Filter Express VI. What you have to do, is create a Waveform that includes the dt and the array, and then pass this Waveform to the Filter VI. Here's the easiest way to do it:

It is not necessary to specify t0 unless you need to take absolute time into account. The above changes should be enough to make your example work.

Have fun!

Message Edited by Philip C. on 07-20-2005 09:53 PM

- Philip Courtois, Thinkbot Solutions

Thinkbot Solutions
Message 2 of 6
(3,061 Views)
Philip C,

Thanks so much for your input.  I was starting to worry since it had been a few days and nobody replied.  Your solution did work, however the filtering does not work with that setup.  Do you see how to fix this problem?  Also, do you know how to upsample the frequency axis (of the 3d graph) back to the original frequencies, not just the number of samples?  Any hints would help a lot.

Thanks,
Daniel Felps (elen)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,034 Views)
attached file for latest updates.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,031 Views)
Hi Daniel,

I'm glad that I could help.

What do you mean with "...the filtering does not work with that setup..."? Let me know what you are expecting compared to what you are actually getting. Have you tried a small example without the 3D stuff?

I couldn't help notice that you are using a separate lowpass filter and highpass filter in your VI. You could have made it easier with only one bandpass filter instead.

If you want to change any settings of the 3D graph, right-click on the 3D graph and choose "CWGraph3D » Properties...". You then have a lot of options to customize the graph to your needs.

Have fun!

Message Edited by Philip C. on 07-25-2005 01:57 AM

- Philip Courtois, Thinkbot Solutions

Thinkbot Solutions
Message 5 of 6
(3,018 Views)
Thanks again Philip, but its working now.  The reason I chose not to use a bandpass was becuase the current setup can also act like a bandstop, which might be necessary for my application.  I have also discovered the 3d graph options, there are lots to play around with in there.

Daniel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,995 Views)