LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI using a dll buildt on an other PC causes MSVCRTD.dll missing error

When I open a VI that uses a self buildt DLL that was fine on the Computer where I buildt it (with Visual C++) on a differnt computer I get the following message:
"This application has failed to start because MSVCRTD.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
(Well, re-installing did not fix the problem)
I had to write a dll to do a time consuming task efficiently but I am not an expert in doing it...
I would appreciate any help.

Regards,
Andreas
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,741 Views)
Well if your custom DLL calls routines that are located in MSVCRTD.DLL then it works fine when Visual C++ is installed because that DLL was installed with Visual C++.  When you take the DLL to the new computer without Visual C++ it won't work because you didn't also copy MSVCRTD.DLL.  Since I'm guessing you have no need for Visual C++ on your other PC, you could just copy the file over with your DLL.

The other thing you could try to do is remove the MSVCRTD.DLL dependencies from your custom DLL (if that's possible), so it won't need to be loaded.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,740 Views)
Thanks, I tried this first but I copied it obviously to the wrong location. Now it is in windows\system32 and everything works fine.

Thanks again,
Andreas
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,735 Views)
Just so you know, the MSVCRTD.dll is a debug build of the C runtime library. It isn't installed on computers without VC++ because it is assumed you aren't debugging on those computers. You need to change the build spec for your DLL to be "Release Build" and then the dependency will go away. Most systems already have MSVCRT.dll installed so you shouldn't have a problem.

Note that this should also speed up the system as debug builds are typically unoptimized and have extra checking included.
Message 4 of 5
(2,719 Views)
So that's what the "D" stands for 🙂 Excellent info Brian.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,712 Views)