From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

formatting of a chart works on a vi in labview but not with the same program as a .exe

I am trying to make a labVIEW program into an exe using the application builder. I have managed to fix the other problems I encountered but there is one that I cant figure out. On the main screen of my program there is a chart with a drop down menu that displays different information. There is a subVI that I made to change the size and number of columns of the chart depending on the item chosen in the drop down menu. This seems to work fine in the program when run using labVIEW, but once I made it into a .exe file, the width and number of colums seems to have defaulted and will not change for each item chosen in the drop down menu as it did before. I am sure that I included the vi
that controls this, but i cant seem to get it to work with the program as an exe.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,623 Views)
My suspicion is that you are not distributing the runtime menu file (.rtm) for your drop down menus with your application. When you build your application, try including the .rtm file as a support file, or check out this knowledgebase and include it in a .llb with your VIs:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/79035a48fda51ec6862569ed0060ac56?OpenDocument

Regards,
Ryan K.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,623 Views)
I cant find the runtime menu file. Maybe I explained my problem incorrectly. I am not using a runtime menu, I am using a menu ring. . .if there is any difference. I am attaching an example of what I suspect is causing the problem in my program. If you still think I need to include the runtime menu file, can you tell me where I can find it?
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,623 Views)
The problem is that the control for your menu is disabled. If you re-enable the control with this example and then build an executable it runs fine. I've attached an executable with the control enabled.

Regards,
Ryan K.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,623 Views)
I was able to enable the menu but the problem still persists. Do you know of any other reason why this could happen? The number of columns shown in the table is always the number needed for the data that is selected when the text file is opened. It is just unable to change once a new selection is made in the menu ring for the table. I guess that means that the subvi that I showed you is working correctly now because the formatting is there, but the program itself seems to be defaulting to the formatting of the selected data in the menu and is unable to change. Do you have any idea why this could happen. I also have a graphing program that is called through my main program. It is supposed to analyze the data of the text file that is
open at the time, but it seems to only do this for the first text file, and every time I open another and click on the graphing program, it is still showing that it is graphing the data of the first file. However, I do not have this problem when the program is run in LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,623 Views)
I read your thread, followed the directions and I was able to create a LV71 executable that allows the user to select from the menu ring, rerun the VI, and the multicolumn listbox is resized.

Is this not what you intend or do you want the program to run continiously? This way you start it once, it runs, you select from the menu, the multicolumn listbox changes, you select again, the multicolum listbox changes, ... . Finally you chose to stop your program, and the behavior ends. Are you using the continious run arrows? It is the icon with two arrows shaped in a circle.

I wonder if the problem is with LabVIEW itself. What version of LabVIEW are you using?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,623 Views)
I am using labVIEW version 6.0.2. The example that I posted is only a small part of my program, but it is the part that I am having problems with. I was able to get this vi to work the way I wanted it to, and my main program is still having the same problem once made into a .exe. This makes me think that it has something to do with the actual application builder or the run-time engine, but I am not able to find any information on what is actually supported by the run-time engine.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,623 Views)
I have not tested your code in 6.0 to verify the behavior.

You are right about some properties not working in the Run Time Engine (RTE) but those properties work in the development environment. You can find out which ones by right clicking on the property >> help for (whatever the property name is). This should launch the online help which has a table decribing where the property will work. This table is reformated and more extensive in later versions of LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,623 Views)
The help for my version of labVIEW does not say where the property will work, it just says what the property does.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,623 Views)