From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flat sequence structure for benchmarking

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Maybe this is very obvious, but I do not fully understand something with flat sequence structures-FSS (I never use this structure by the way, and I do not get why they use it in this example).

There is a NI doc online explaining some rookie mistakes in LV:

http://www.ni.com/newsletter/51735/en/

The doc describes that the FSS is useful for benchmarking, the BD:

amndactq6630960983613965242.png

My question: what about if we put the Tick Count in a subVI at the left and at the right, and giving the exec. order with error wires? Or using a while loop which executes only once (with error wires passing through)?

Are these 3 different ways identical?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,906 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

Yes you can do all of those things - I think the only thing to bear in mind is that you don't want your benchmarking code to affect the execution speed of the code - otherwise you'll get inaccurate results. If you use the while loop, you'll need to do something to ensure that your second Tick Count executes after your While loop - e.g. with an FSS Smiley Very Happy

Using the flat sequence structure is OK - it's overuse of it that is a common rookie mistake - trying to force things to execute in a specific order (e.g. if coming from a text based sequential programming language) instead of understanding that this is done by data flow in LabVIEW.

I think the reason for it is just because the Tick Count VI doesn't have an input so you can't enforce data flow. It's quite common to have a subVI that wraps the tick count VI with error in/out wires.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 2 of 4
(3,894 Views)

Thanks! It is more clear now. So a while loop actually changes the things too much, so it is not good here. A subVI needs to be created, so I see why it is just quicker to drop a FSS instead...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,878 Views)

Actually depending on the precision you want, that example has other issues.  Altenbach has a post somewhere that I can't find at the moment that lists out how to best measure the speed of some code.  Here are some of the points I remember:

• Turn debugging off in the VI, and turn automatic error handling.
  • Inline any subVIs to help speed if possible
  • Get a tick count when nothing else is going on, meaning not in parallel with any other code
  • Perform the code to be measured, but do not update any front panel indicators.  This update happens asynchronously and may make incorrect results
  • When inputs are needed, use randomly generated data when possible.  The compiler is smart and may try to optimize away results it has seen recently.
  • Get a tick count after the code is done when nothing else is going, meaning not in parallel with any other code.
  • After getting the tick count a second time, indicators can be updated
  • Subtract the time difference between the two ticks.

Without following these steps you'll still get a pretty good idea about how long something takes to do, but when comparing multiple coding techniques for speed, these steps help make a level playing field.

Message 4 of 4
(3,815 Views)