cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file path control: invoke file browser activation

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

on the front panel of a vi I want a file path control to open automatically the file browser window when the user clicks into the path control. Is there any way to do that programmatically after the mouse down event has been fired? I couldn't find a suitable method so far.

Thanks for any hint,

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,156 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author stoeckel

Hi Peter,

yes it's possible as you described it. Did you try it? 😉

Mike

Message 2 of 5
(3,154 Views)

I should point out that the mechanism you (I am referring to the OP) are proposing is counter-intuitive. Web browsers have started to do this, but they do it claiming security issues. Frankly, I think the security concern is small compared to the annoying change in normal behavior, but that's my just my opinion - I can't change the way Firefox or IE works.

Do you not have the Browse button visible for the control? Clicking this displays a file browser. This is normal and expected behavior. 

Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 07-03-2009 09:21 AM
Message 3 of 5
(3,142 Views)

Hi Smercurio,

why is the mechanism that I want to establish counter-intuitiv? Apparently it's more a matter of taste. Most people would first click into the path control and only afterwards -- because nothing happened while clicking to the control itself -- click on the "Browse" button.

Anyway -- thanks a lot for your reply.

Peter

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,103 Views)
It's counter-intuititive because normal textboxes place an insertion caret where you clicked so you can start typing. Been this way since textboxes were first introduced back in the stone ages.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,082 Views)