LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file dialog (spreadsheet read/write) causes program to freeze

Solved!
Go to solution
Labview 8.6, In the first while loop, I am using the spreadsheet write vi to save data acquired from a SCXI / PXI system to a specified folder on the desktop. I have a second while loop (with an event structure) that uses the spreadsheet read vi to read a user specified data file, which it then plots. The problem I am encountering is that when the file dialog prompt  vi runs in the spreadsheet read vi, the first while loop (that is writing data continuously) freezes until a file is chosen and opened. Any suggestions on how to get these two functions to work together?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,625 Views)
Make sure you wire a valid file path into the Spreadsheet Read VI.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,622 Views)
I have an empty path wired to the spreadsheet read vi because I want the user to be able to choose a dat file. Because there is an empty path wired, the file dialog pops up, which freezes the second while loop (that is writing data to file). ?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,620 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JDavis644
Then use a file path control on your front panel and then the user can still select the file by clicking on the browse button. The other loop will still run if the user clicks the browse button to select a file. In your code if the event gets fired with an empty path, do nothing.
Message 4 of 4
(2,613 Views)