From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export data waveform chart problem

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All!

I have a problem with my waveform chart:

I set the chart's history length to be 5 X 24 X 60 X 60 = 432 000 data points. I plot a new point in every 1 minute, so I can overview the last 5 days' measurement. The problem is, when I simply try to export to Excel the data from the chart, the data is not in proper time order (if I export the data to the clipboard, it is just the same). The data starts with the second day. And yes, before I export the data, the x-axis is set to be autoscaled, so I see the data curves of the entire 5 days. But after exporting, in the opening Excel table (2010 office, LabView 2011, silver chart) the data is really mixed up...

Anyway, bypassing this problem is easy: 2 clicks in excell, and it puts the data in order, but I am curious why it happens...I guess I do something wrong with building the waveform arrays?

Is this a bug?

thanks in advance!

ps.: I attached an exported graph in jpg what I see, and the excel table with the "mixed up" data sequence, and also the subVI, what I use to generate and send the three new points for the mentioned chart in every minute.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(4,041 Views)

Hello Blokk,

I can´t see how you save the data in the excel-sheet.

Please let us show the main vi.

Greez

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(4,003 Views)

Hi,

Maybe I was not clear: I move the mouse pointer over the waveform chart, right click, choose "Export data to excel". So my question is why this default method produces "mixed" order in my data in the resulted Excel table?

I can quickly bypass the problem using the Excel's sorting feature by time, but I am curious about this "bug"...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27
(3,998 Views)

one more thing:

"(if I export the data to the clipboard, it is just the same)." This means that, the "export data to clipboard" ALSO results mixed data in Excel. Just to clarify, sorry for my bad English 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(3,992 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

Hey,

as far as I know there was a change in the ActiveX interface from Office 2007 to Office 2010.

In Exel 2007 you wouldn't have this bug.

Try to use the the VI "Export Waveforms to Spreadsheet" or you use an TDMS File.

Greez

Sebastian

--> I work for KUDOS <--
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(3,983 Views)

thanks for info. But NI should fix it, dont' you think? Actually I do save the data into TDMS (I like this file type, very useful), but I think if LabView has this built-in feature (right click with mouse for easy export of data), it should work flawless with the newest Excel. It is not a pro aproach lets say, to use an older Excel instead of fixing this bug.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(3,980 Views)

Hey,

I think in LV2012 the bug will be fixed or there comes another update.

Greez

Sebastian

--> I work for KUDOS <--
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(3,977 Views)

thanks for info 🙂

We have bought the licence for this year also, so I will have the chance to see it 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(3,974 Views)

Hello Guys,

My problem is perhaps more basic. I need to export all my waveform data to excel. I am acquiring signal continuously and my intent is to dump all the data visible on the waveform to excel. I turn of autoscale on X, so that I am able to capture say, 1 hr worth of data displayed on the screen. 

When I drag the waveform data to excel, I only see 1 second worth of data and not all the data that is displayed on the chart. 

Can you please help me with this? 

Thank you very much. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(3,919 Views)

I think you should start a new post with this, instead of hijacking this old one 🙂

One solution could be that you just save your data directly into TDMS file. This one can be easily converted into excel file.

I do not understand actually your problem totally, do you have a waveform chart? A waveform chart has a certain history length, I think it is 1024 points in default. So I do not understand why it does not work for you. Maybe you do not use chart but graph? Or the update mode is not set to be the default...?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(3,916 Views)