LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

executable/installer

Windows 7

Labview 2012

I created a Project w all the required files to run on my deveopment machine.  From this project I created an executable and and installer.  I then ran the installer on my target machine.

If my Labview source code changes on my develpment machine can i just recreate the exe and re create the installer and it will port this new exe on the target by running the installer again?  Or do I just copy the directory on my development machine w all the exe files in it and then copy those over to the target??  I've looked at some of the forum questions and they don't seem to address this question.

Thanks..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,275 Views)

You'll definitely want to update your installer so that if you ever need to install it on a new machine, you'll have the most up to date installer.

For your existing setup, assuming you haven't made any major changes to your code such as using a toolkit that uses a run-time that you hadn't used before and needs to be installed, you can prettymuch just copy over the .exe to the target machine.

But it is probably best to just go ahead and rerun the installer.  You should make sure the version number in your project has been incremented.  And if the installer is using the same GUID as it always had, then running the installer again should treat this as an upgrade to your application as opposed to creating a new, separate application.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,273 Views)

Then I'm doing something wrong because I did just that and the old exe is still there.  i can tell by its behavior.  I thought I had read somewhere you to do a "forced" install if an "older" verson of your exe was already on the target..no?  All I'm doing is changing a vi..something relatively simple..

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,268 Views)

Turn on Autoincrement version in executable build settings. This way you can always know that you have the latest one.

Why it did not update your executable...

Something simple: first you have rebuilt installer, then rebuilt executable? Then installer has old executable.

You have installed into different location?

Try to delete old exe before installing.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,249 Views)

When I turn on auto increment is there a way to know which "increment" I have on the target??  or is it embedded in the exe and I can't see it?

I want to ensure the exe I created w the installer is the latest.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,225 Views)

Right click on the .exe file and check the properties.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,217 Views)

thxs..

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,201 Views)

I don't know if this is part of my problem or not:

When I open Labview Project in the items list is something called dependencies.  Under it is a lot of DLL's and lib.  When I do a build under the source tab  the dependencies directory shows up but nothin under it.  Does Labview know to go get these files and just doesn't show them to the developer? Or do I need to include them manually??  Which I tried and can't do ..

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,198 Views)

Take a screenshot of that.

If the file is in dependencies in the project, LabVIEW will know to include it.  The only things you may have to explicitly call out to be included are any VI's that you might call dynamically.

But I don't see anything called "dependencies" within the Source Tab of the build specifications.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,189 Views)

I'll do a screen shot..Lab is across campus..so it'll be awhile.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,185 Views)