cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exe extra file

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have been wondering about this for a while.  When I make a simple exe, I get a bunch of exra files such as a .aliases, a ini, and a lvanlys.dll file (in a data folder).  What are they?  My exe doesn't call for these file at all.  If I were to send the exe to others, do I have to send all these extra files?  If so, is there a way to avoid having multiple files?  Thanks!

Yik

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,264 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jyang72211

The DLL is necessary because your program called some LabVIEW analysis function.  If you don't pass along that DLL, the program will complain when you start it on a different machine.

The INI is just a place where relevant LabVIEW settings were copied from your DevSys.  Things like WebServer settings are stored there.  Open it in NotePad or something and take a look.  If you don't use those things, toss the INI file.  If you DO use the webserver, or OLE, or something else mentioned in there, then you might need the file.  You can also store your own settings in that file (see INI handler VIs).

I can't offer a good explanation for the .ALIASES.  But I throw it away every time.  It contains the IP addresses of my two remote targets from my project ("RTEC = 192.168.1.199"), and the line "My Computer = localhost".

I suppose I could use that somehow, but I never have.

Be aware that if you want to "send the exe to others", they have to have the LabVIEW RTE installed (Run-Time Engine).   You can make an installer that does that for you, but the EXE is not sufficient by itself.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

Message 2 of 3
(2,247 Views)

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,203 Views)