LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exe building makes small file

The only solution i found so far is to switch to x64. There are quite a few drawbacks like unsupported cRIO (hence have to keep two versions of LV) but at least project builds 100% of the time. No 144KB exe files, no failed builds.

www.xinstruments.com - Custom Software for Industrial Automation

www.hdrconverter.com - Picture processing made easy

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 55
(762 Views)

If only the development system was 64 bit but still able to build 32 bit applications, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Is there any way to dig deeper into what that invoke node does?

What code does it call? Is it in some dll?

0 Kudos
Message 42 of 55
(756 Views)

@AlexanderKhodarev wrote:

The only solution i found so far is to switch to x64. There are quite a few drawbacks like unsupported cRIO (hence have to keep two versions of LV) but at least project builds 100% of the time. No 144KB exe files, no failed builds.

IIRC LV22 64 bit supports cRIO.

Message 43 of 55
(750 Views)

@Florian.Ludwig wrote:

If only the development system was 64 bit but still able to build 32 bit applications, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Why? Why do you need 32 bit executables when it works on 64 bit?

Are you using LV dlls in external epplications?

@Florian.Ludwig wrote:

Is there any way to dig deeper into what that invoke node does?

What code does it call? Is it in some dll?

No. Compiled code (LV internals). Maybe, but undocumented for sure.

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 55
(745 Views)

Has anyone gotten any help from NI on this issue? I reached out to technical support but wasn't able to get beyond trivial support suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 55
(726 Views)

While LV22 does support cRIO, which is very nice, ethercat doesn't seem to have 64 bit support, only offering 32 bit.  That's really the only reason honestly

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 55
(716 Views)

Aside from non-supported Ethercat we had another issue: RT/FPGA application which was running fine in 32bit crashes regularly if built and run in x64. It means now we have to support two source codes. Very annoying.

NI support wasn't helpful too much. I can understand it in a way. They need a source code to test. But in reality you can just generate bunch of random VIs (i assume) and create project which pushes 3.5GB during build time and 100+MB in exe size and get same results (failed builds or builds which end up with 144KB file).

www.xinstruments.com - Custom Software for Industrial Automation

www.hdrconverter.com - Picture processing made easy

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 55
(684 Views)

@EthanHenry wrote:

While LV22 does support cRIO, which is very nice, ethercat doesn't seem to have 64 bit support, only offering 32 bit.  That's really the only reason honestly

That's not mentioned here at all:

NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT and LabVIEW Compatibility - NI

I guess that doesn't mean much, limitations of products are automatically removed before publishing online. Or so it always seems to me.

It is mentioned here though (NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT (NI-ECAT) is not supported, NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT is?):

NI Product Compatibility for Microsoft Windows 10 - NI

On Windows 11 NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT (NI-ECAT) is not supported at all (32 or 64 bit)

NI Product Compatibility for Microsoft Windows 11 - NI

Seems like NI-Industrial Communications for EtherCAT (NI-ECAT) is being deprecated.

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 55
(666 Views)

@AlexanderKhodarev wrote:

NI support wasn't helpful too much. I can understand it in a way. They need a source code to test. But in reality you can just generate bunch of random VIs (i assume) and create project which pushes 3.5GB during build time and 100+MB in exe size and get same results (failed builds or builds which end up with 144KB file).

And they should hurry.

I'm sure 32 bit will be unsupported at some point in the not to distant future.

And it should, but not until 64 bit works (completely and for everyone).

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 55
(656 Views)

Why? Why do you need 32 bit executables when it works on 64 bit?

IIRC our main issue was that we use 3rd party dlls which are 32 bit, and I was told those won't work in a 64 bit application.

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 55
(654 Views)