LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exe building makes small file

I was always amazed by the skills of the early chess programmers. It is hard to imagine that a fully functioning chess program can fit on a 4 bit microcontroller with 2k Rom and 80 bytes (160 nibbles) of ram. (yes 80, not 80k!)

Message 11 of 55
(1,318 Views)

@AlexanderKhodarev

Early days programming is really something else...

But could you eventually resolve this issue? I am seeing similar behavior myself. Would greatly appreciate if you could follow up on this one!

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 55
(1,231 Views)

@tvirag

No resolution really. I'm just redoing build until it succeeds. Sometimes do few manual retries, sometimes use Jenkins with file size post build checks and auto rebuilds as needed.

By the way - i'm using Labview 2018x32. Maybe switching to x64 or newer version of LV will help with that, haven't tried yet.

www.xinstruments.com - Custom Software for Industrial Automation

www.hdrconverter.com - Picture processing made easy

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 55
(1,205 Views)

Have you monitored the memory usage during the build?

IIRC, 2GB is the (normal) limit for 32 bit applications. LabVIEW, 8000 VIs in memory, copies for the build maybe, additional resources in use, it could be a problem... LabVIEW keeps VI data in memory, so maybe this could cause the random factor?

I'd expect a hard "out of memory" crash, but who knows...

Message 14 of 55
(1,181 Views)

Your build doesn't crash so it's not exactly the same symptoms, but I've seen the The GDI Object limit problem come up as a build problem in large projects before.

You could try increasing the GDI limit in the registry and see if that helps.  It certainly can't hurt.

Message 15 of 55
(1,167 Views)

Yes i've increased GDI limit, without it build crashes 100%. The point is that there is a problem which manifests in 144KB exe file after successful build. Logs also don't show any problems.

Have been monitoring memory all the way. Max memory usage goes to 3.2-3.4 GB depending on PC where build happens. We've tried it on about 10 different PCs and results are quire similar.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 55
(1,152 Views)

With version 18 I sometimes saw similar build failure.   Cleaning the build always resulted in successful builds.  I never searched for a root cause once I had that workaround.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 55
(1,146 Views)

What do you mean by “cleaning the build”?

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 55
(1,122 Views)

I assume he means right-clicking the build spec and selecting "Clean"?

Kyle97330_0-1650926531391.png

Message 19 of 55
(1,117 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

I assume he means right-clicking the build spec and selecting "Clean"?

Kyle97330_0-1650926531391.png

Yes 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 55
(1,091 Views)