From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

excel report generation does not exit excel

Solved!
Go to solution

I am having the same issue still with LabView 2019, Windows 10, and Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus version 1803.

I have attached a vi that demonstrates the issues. I can open an excel template, save it with a new name, and then dispose of the report, and I will still be left with an Excel entry in the Details page of Task Manager. 

This is an issue, because until I manually end the task, i can not open the excel file I just created to edit, I see the pop up message below.

Any help solving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

image.png

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 33
(700 Views)

@tkrallman wrote:

I am having the same issue still with LabView 2019, Windows 10, and Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus version 1803.

I have attached a vi that demonstrates the issues. I can open an excel template, save it with a new name, and then dispose of the report, and I will still be left with an Excel entry in the Details page of Task Manager. 

My system is similar, but I'm using 365 ProPlus Version 1909 (don't think that makes a difference).  When I open your VI, I have a "broken Arrow" on Save Report to File, a well-known issue (many reports/solutions in this Forum) due to a change that Microsoft made to Excel in (I think) Office 2016.  The fix involves finding the two-levels-down broken Excel_Save_Workbook.vi, open its Block Diagram, right-click the Workbook "SaveAs" Method, and choose "Relink".

Once I fixed this, I ran your program.  When I finished, I clicked on the Test.xls output, it opened immediately, and everything was fine.  I also tried it with the Diagram Disable code changed to actually write entries into the Excel output -- works like a charm.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 33
(682 Views)

I remember fixing that issue with the broken subvi in the Excel_Save_Workbook when I upgraded from LV2017 to LV2019 and made the jump from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I also made a modification in that same subvi to add a case for .xlsm files. 

I downloaded zip and tried it again myself, and still have the same issue. No broken arrows, an excel reference still left open in Task Manager, and a locked excel file.

Not sure what else I can do, other than command prompt and kill the excel instance, which I would like to avoid since that would close any other instance of excel my user would have open.

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 33
(672 Views)