LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ethernet communication

I have problem in communicating my instrument through ethernet. I used the standard procedure as described in the following NI page

http://zone.ni.com/wv/app/doc/p/id/wv-1653

but when I ping to the IP address of my equipment, it does not respond properly in the way as explained in the website. Rather it fails. 

My instrument is not connected to network, rather I connect it directly to my LAN port of my Laptop. I need to know if I have to make any changes in my LAN settings. I tried to put the same gateway and subnet  in my laptop as mentioned for the instruments.

The best thing would have been if the NI MAX detects it automatically, but it fails to show any instruments connected by ethernet. I tried with AMTEX Lockin amplifier and Keithley 26XX source meter, but failed..I appreciate any help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,453 Views)

Is the instrument in the same subnet as your PC? If not, then you will not be able to communicate with it. This is not a limitation of MAX, but the way TCP/IP works. You can't connect the instrument directly to your LAN port on your laptop with a regular ethernet cable - you'd need to use a crossover cable. You can connect your PC and the instrument to a switch or to a router, and then they will be able to see each other as long as they are in the same subnet.

MAX can't automatically detect instruments on a TCP/IP network. It would need to do a scan for instruments, in much the same way as it does a scan for GPIB instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,449 Views)
If you are connecting directly, you may need a cat5 x-over ethernet cable since you are not going via a router. You can trhe communicate and set the subnets/ips etc.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,446 Views)

even after scanning it did not detect.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,429 Views)

If you can't ping the instrument, the MAX cannot detect it. It sounds like you have a networking problem, and not a problem with MAX. Have you read over the advice given?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,418 Views)

Hello

Do you want help me for directly connect (Ethernet ) to labview?

Please instruction install and Prerequisites for connect to labview send my email.

E-mail: karim_asghary@yahoo.com

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,303 Views)

Maybe this will help...

LXI Discovery Problems

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,292 Views)